[Michlib-l] Starting a Video Game Collection // Questions for other Libraries

Josh Spaman jspaman at southfieldlibrary.org
Fri Jun 16 10:58:33 EDT 2023

Hi Michlib!

Recently our library has started looking into offering a video game collection for our patrons. We offer DVDs for movies and music as well as Audio Books. We wanted to ask for some info regarding other library's practices regarding vendors and circulation practices;

  *   Currently we use Midwest for our DVDs, however they don't offer video games. We used to use Crimsoninc for our cd-roms and are looking at them, but other recommendations would be great!
  *   We use locking cases for our DVDs and would most likely continue for consistency with our circulation process. Have any of your collections experienced issues with this?
  *   Do you circulate consoles? If so, do you offer consoles with purchased digital copies of games or do patrons check out physical copies with them?
  *   Are computer games a popular circulation option still? If so, do you offer them digitally in the library or through physical copies?

Thank you in advance for any assistance or information anyone can provide!

Sincerest regards,
Josh Spaman
Tech Librarian Intern
Southfield Public Library