[Michlib-l] Music Library of Things

Abigail Vervaras avervaras at ruthhughes.org
Tue Jul 18 16:59:59 EDT 2023

Hi,

I won't be much help with advice on how a library shares these instruments
but, I can give some advice based on the fact that I was in a band ensemble
for 8 years as a clarinet player.

1.) You can sanitize instruments but depending on the instrument, it can be
a lengthy process. I would recommend buying additional mouthpieces for the
wind instruments so you can always have a clean one available. When you
play a wind instrument your spit can travel through the whole body of the
instrument. Because of this cleaning a trumpet, for example, would be less
time consuming to clean than a clarinet or flute because of the amount of
keys that you would want to clean around. They have different cleaning
products & brushes for each type of instrument based on the material the
instrument is made of and you can find all of those usually online or at a
music supply store.

2.) Reeds come in different levels of softness regarding the wood. So the
reed you choose would depend on the experience of the musician. If you are
a more experienced musician you would have a firmer wood for your reed
versus a musician new to the instrument would want a softer wood, as it is
easier to move air past the softer wood. You also cannot play a reed
instrument with a dry reed. We were taught to hold the reed in our mouth to
soften it with your saliva. Reeds can last for a good amount of time based
on how you treat it and how often you play. You do not need a new reed
everytime you play.

Based on the knowledge I have on wind instruments you could go about it in
a couple different ways:

-You could have patrons purchase their own reeds or you could keep a
variety of reeds that they can use but they would then keep their reed for
a while and bring it in with them when they want to play an instrument.
-You can purchase separate pieces for instruments. If you are worried about
patrons sharing a mouthpiece despite being sanitized you could have patrons
bring in their own mouth pieces and then you only have to worry about
sanitizing the body of the instrument between patron use.

I think it is do-able to share instruments between patrons but it also
depends on how much time or money you would want to dedicate to the care
and keeping of the instruments. I hope any of this is of help to you and
feel free to reach out if you have any other questions and I'll do my best
to answer based on my knowledge. Good luck!