[Michlib-l] Wireless printing and print release stations

Jennifer Miller jmiller at pldl.org
Thu Feb 2 13:23:08 EST 2023

Hello,
We are looking into the pros and cons of adding a print release station to
our current wireless printing.

Right now  patrons can send their print jobs directly to our two wireless
printers, and then they collect their prints and pay at the desk.  It's
pretty streamlined, and it is on the honor system.  Our printers are very
near our circ desk, so we don't feel like we have a problem with people
walking off with their print jobs and not paying.  There isn't a special
app, they just connect to our wireless, then choose our printers.

What we don't currently offer is a way for a patron to send a print job
from an app at home, have the print job stored, and then the print job is
released when they come into the building using a print release station.
Our current set up is also based on either paying cash, or credit, but but
our credit card limit is $5.  And payment for printing always involves
staff.

For those of you that offer wireless printing: How happy are you with your
current solution?
Is it easy for patrons to use?  Do people actually send their print jobs
remotely and then release them in the building?  Any information on how
patrons pay for their prints at the print release station would be helpful
too.

Thank you!

--
Jennifer Miller
Business Manager
Visit our website at www.pldl.org
Like our FB page at facebook.com/pldl/org
<http://facebook.com/pldl.org>

*The Mission of the Portage Lake District Library is to inspire our diverse
community to discover, imagine and connect. Our Vision is an educated,
connected community of readers, learners, doers and dreamers.*