[Michlib-l] MLC Iconic Michigan Project - great opportunity for student engagement

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Wed Aug 16 16:37:00 EDT 2023

Greetings Michigan librarians!

Earlier this year, PBS released a series called Iconic America<https://www.pbs.org/weta/iconic-america/>. This series takes viewers on a journey through American history and identity by looking at the sights and symbols that define ideas and places around our country.

Michigan Learning Channel is excited to bring this series to communities in our state with a student media and storytelling project called Iconic Michigan. We will provide free media making kits to Michigan librarians who commit to either partnering with a local teacher or creating a program of their own to support young people investigating, researching, producing, and storytelling about icons in their own communities. Participating librarians and educators will receive a detailed project guide to help with facilitating the local research and media production elements; students will also have access to a downloadable journal to help them navigate the planning and production process. Sites will also receive media kits which include tripods, light kits, gimbals, and other tools designed to support mobile (cell phone) video production. After the project conclusion, librarians will keep their media kits for ongoing programming and/or to be added into circulation!

We have partnered with the Library of Michigan and PBS Books to ensure that public libraries have full access to resources and support to offer this project to their communities! The project is open to all, but the media kits are limited to we are asking that any interested librarians submit this application to indicate interest by August 31, 2023<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSescVFIRoleSLOshdeUKB6WBUjUQkeR7kZZEwYcETtUl2LnYg/viewform>. Please note that you do not have to have a confirmed design for your project or a confirmed partnership. We fully expect that you will want to confirm participation before making formal plans - this is just to ensure you are committed to the project and that you have the capacity for a partnership during the upcoming school year.

If you have any questions about the project or the application, please reach out to the Michigan Learning Channel Program Director Matt Hamilton at mhamilton at dptv.org<mailto:mhamilton at dptv.org>.

Thank you!

Matt Hamilton (he/they) learn about pronouns here!<https://pronouns.org/>
Program Director, Michigan Learning Channel

[Learn more about the new Michigan Learning Channel]<https://www.michiganlearning.org/?emailsig>

Partnering with teachers and families. On TV. Online. Statewide.
Visit MichiganLearning.org and Watch Live<https://www.michiganlearning.org/?emailsig>

Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan