[Michlib-l] Last chance for a unique workshop opportunity for Northern MI & UP library staff

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Tue Apr 11 09:53:35 EDT 2023

Last chance to register for the SEAL workshop from STAR Net (NASA @ My Library) next Wednesday at the Charlevoix Public Library!
SEAL: Solar Eclipse Activities for Libraries with STAR Net - All Ages
These SEAL workshops will prepare and empower public library staff to facilitate meaningful solar and space science programs for their patrons that build curiosity, knowledge and inspiration. Attendees will receive hands-on training on operating solar telescopes and other methods for direct and indirect solar viewing, best practices for developing and facilitating STEM programs, and how to engage with community partners and library-specific digital resource networks. Attendees will also be able to sign up for free solar eclipse glasses to distribute to their communities in advance of both eclipses! STAR Net facilitators, bringing many years of experience building the STEM capacity of public library staff, will work with each state library to customize the workshop experience based on the needs and interests of public libraries within that state.
Space is extremely limited, so register now for these FREE workshops with STAR Net:
Wednesday, April 19, 2023, from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm [FULL] at the Delta Township District Library, 5130 Davenport Dr., Lansing, MI 48917
Thursday, April 20, 2023, from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm<https://libraryofmichigan.app.neoncrm.com/np/clients/libraryofmichigan/event.jsp?event=2992> at the Charlevoix Public Library, 220 Clinton St., Charlevoix Mi 49720
Lunch will be provided, however due to limited space we will be offering a waitlist. If you register and cannot attend, please notify the Library of Michigan at least 72 hours in advance.

Two solar eclipses are coming to North America - an Annular Eclipse in 2023 and a Total Solar Eclipse in 2024 - and it's time for public library staff to get ready! Thanks to a grant from the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation and a supplement to the NASA at My Library Project, the Space Science Institute's STAR Net team is providing 5 million solar viewing glasses, in-person training workshops, solar science circulation kits, print resources,~10,000 public libraries and 55 state library agencies across the nation. To learn more about the project, including how to register your library for free solar eclipse glasses, visit: www.starnetlibraries.org/about/our-projects/solar-eclipse-activities-libraries-seal/<http://www.starnetlibraries.org/about/our-projects/solar-eclipse-activities-libraries-seal/>.

Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.