[Michlib-l] Podcast Brunch Club

Andrew Calvetti acalvetti at ssldl.info
Fri May 8 10:34:51 EDT 2020

Hello -

My name is Andrew Calvetti and I am an adult services librarian at the
Salem-South Lyon District Library.  I am doing a virtual Podcast Brunch
Club with Google Meet.  For the month of May - I am doing a library themed
podcast.  If anyone in libraryland would like to listen to these and join
us - we are always excited to hear new voices.

Please join us at Podcast Brunch Club on Thursday May 14 at 11:00 AM for
our monthly look at some interesting podcasts.  This month’s time will be
taking a look at the EVOLUTION OF LIBRARIES.  Please listen to these
selected podcasts and join us on GOOGLE MEETS for a lively discussion.

Meeting place:  Meeting ID

meet.google.com/mfc-wkxj-mpd
<https://meet.google.com/mfc-wkxj-mpd?hs=122&authuser=1>

https://podcastbrunchclub.com/libraries/

*Podcast Listening List on The Evolution of Libraries*

*Podcast:* *This American Life*
*Episode:* *664: The Room of Requirement*
<https://www.thisamericanlife.org/664/the-room-of-requirement> *(December
2018, 60 minutes)*
Illuminating and unique exploration of the subject that examines what
various libraries have meant to various people.

*Podcast:* *FYI: The Public Libraries Podcast*
*Episode:* *FYI 024 Guest: Nicholas Higgins — Library Service to Jails and
Prisons*
<http://publiclibrariesonline.org/2017/11/new-podcast-fyi-024-nicholas-higgins-on-library-service-to-jails-and-prisons/>
 *(November 2017, 17 minutes)*
A great example of what a library in a nonconventional space looks like.

*Podcast:* *Part-Time Genius*
*Episode:* *Is There a Rosy Future for Libraries*
<https://www.parttimegenius.show/podcasts/is-there-a-rosy-future-for-libraries.htm>
 *(December 2017, 38 minutes)*
Examining the current relevance/use of libraries, the history and evolution
of libraries, and a quick run down of several of the new things that
libraries offer. In the episode, they mention *this BBC article, “Syria’s
Secret Library.”* <https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36893303>

*Podcast:* *Shmanners*
*Episode:* *Libraries* <https://shmanners.libsyn.com/libraries> *(July
2017, 47 minutes)*
A good overview of the history of libraries and public libraries
specifically, as well as adding some levity to the playlist.

*Podcast:* *Down to Earth*
*Episode:* *07.06.18 – Libraries*
<https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/down-to-earth/050718-libraries-V7_coWiK5Jz/>
 *(August 2018, 20 minutes)*
A perspective from outside the United States looking into why libraries are
important and some of the funding challenges facing libraries.

*Podcast:* *99% Invisible*
*Episode:  **346 - Palaces for the People* *(March 19, 2019, 46 minutes)*
Social Infrastructure is the glue that binds communities together, and it
is just as real as the infrastructure for water, power, or communications,
although it is often harder to see.  But Eric Lineberg says that when we
invest in social infrastructures such as libraries, parks, or schools, we
reap all kinds of benefits.  We become more likely to interact with people
around us, and connected to the broader public.  If we neglect social
infrastructure, we tend to grow more isolated, which can have serious
consequences.

--
[image: America's STAR Libraries 2018]