[Michlib-l] Wine & Spirit Tasting @ Library

Membiela, Clare (MDE) MembielaC at michigan.gov
Thu Jan 30 15:02:23 EST 2020

Hello Cheryl:

Essentially, if the tasting:

Is free -  a strictly non-commercial event. No money changes hands (participants don't pay to taste, purchase tasting and are not offered bottles of product tasted for purchase or order). NO ONE can make profit from the event.
and
No food is offered for sale
And
No underage participants are served

You should not need a license.
I have attached information created by the Michigan Liquor Regulatory Control Commission on this topic.

If the aim is to earn money - as a fundraiser, you will likely have to obtain a license:
https://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-89334_10570_16941-391552--,00.html
The Liquor Control Commission also has contact information at this site where you can call them for additional information. I have found them to be very helpful!

I hope this is helpful! Please let me know if I can offer any additional information

Sincerely,
Clare

Clare D. Membiela, MLS, J.D.
Library Law Consultant
Library of Michigan
MembielaC at michigan.gov<mailto:MembielaC at michigan.gov>
517-335-8132

The research and resources above are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D579DC.B445FFB0]
Family Matters is an outreach effort to equip families of children with disabilities by offering free information and resources.
Visit Family Matters<https://gcc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.michigan.gov%2Fmde%2F0%2C4615%2C7-140-6598_88187_81739---%2C00.html&data=02%7C01%7CMembielaC%40michigan.gov%7C6b2f721525734743bc6608d748155e89%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C637057128957252684&sdata=CfbGmpHjM%2BYipHBj37MRXs3Z%2B5AkjkbhNJCA5enJgwE%3D&reserved=0>, call OSE Information Line at 888-320-8384 or Email: mde-ose at michigan.gov<mailto:mde-ose at michigan.gov>.