[Michlib-l] Fwd: [MeLCat] Question about cellular signal boosters

Stephanie Mallak Olson s.olson at vlc.lib.mi.us
Wed Feb 26 14:26:55 EST 2020

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[MeLCat] Question about cellular signal boosters
Date: 	Wed, 26 Feb 2020 12:34:46 -0500
From: 	John A. Cargo via MeLCatlist <melcatlist at mcls.org>
To: 	melcatlist at mcls.org <melcatlist at mcls.org>

Hi,

This is an issue that everybody has had over the years.  Inside some of
our buildings, especially in rural areas, we've had spotty or even
non-existent cellular signals.

Recently, one of our branches had voices concerns about being unable to
make an emergency call from inside a library building on their cell
phone.  Or even just getting and making calls.

One of the proposed solutions from the township's city manager was
installing an extender--basically a micro cell tower--inside the building.

The problems with that are:
1.  The extender only supports one specific carrier.
2.  It uses the library's Internet connection.
3.  Other users with devices from the same carrier could use the extender.

Another possibility is using a signal booster, such as one from
WeBoost.  The ones they sell are carrier agnostic, plug-and-play and
will work with multiple carriers at the same time, but:
1.  Depending on how the external antenna is aimed, it will prioritize
the strongest cell tower signal first.  So there's no guarantee that it
would work with everything consistently.
2.  You have to register the booster with the carrier (though it's
stated that most carriers approve of them anyway).
3.  A bit more expensive than an extender.

I personally have no experience with signal boosters or cellular in
general.  My question is:  Has anyone used a signal booster or have some
similar solution to improve cellular signals inside a building?

Thanks.

--
John A. Cargo
Technology Coordinator