[Michlib-l] Do you love history?

Eric Magness-Eubank emeacl at alpenalibrary.org
Tue Nov 5 15:55:03 EST 2019

Do you enjoy working with people?  Do you like working with technology in
new and innovative ways?  Do archives inspire the thrill of discovery in
you?  If so, we have the job for you. We're looking for someone to put the
"Special" into "Special Collections."

The Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library is seeking a new Head of
Special Collections. We maintain archives in the areas of the history of
Alpena and Northeast Michigan, genealogy, and Great Lakes Maritime History,
including managing the archives of the Thunder Bay National Marine
Sanctuary. We have among the best collections in maritime history in the
world, including maintaining one of the best digital archives of 19th
Century Great Lakes sailing vessels.

Our clientele is international in scope and we serve a wide range of
professional and amateur historians, archaeologists, graduate students, as
well as individuals from all walks of life. We pride ourselves on providing
great service to our community of users.

We believe in actively using our collections and resources to create an
awareness of the history of our region.  To that end, we are actively
digitizing our holdings, using our collections to create interpretive
content, such as smartphone-based historical walking tours, using augmented
reality in displays, creating a local history lecture series, hosting
cemetery tours and similar projects.  We will even tweet close to a 100,000
times to digitize newspapers. We regularly partner with regional
institutions in joint projects, and often assist with economic development
and tourism to make use of our holdings to benefit our community in as many
ways as possible.

In 2016, the Historical Society of Michigan awarded our Special Collections
the State History Award for Institutions for our valuable contributions in
making the history of our region come alive.

We would like to hire someone who has experience working in an archive;
knows about Michigan history and maritime culture; has a degree in archival
studies or marine archaeology or a related field.  Having experience with
digitization projects, oral history projects and making public presentations
is desirable. You should also have a willingness to try new ideas and have
fun doing so.

To apply, submit resume and cover letter to Eric Magness-Eubank, Library
Director. Electronic submissions to  <mailto:emeacl at alpenalibrary.org>
emeacl at alpenalibrary.org are welcome. For more information see the Library's
online posting at https://www.alpenalibrary.org/employmentopportunities

Eric Magness-Eubank

Library Director

Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library

emeacl at alpenalibrary.org

989.356.6188 ex 11