[Michlib-l] Question about handling money

Anita Chouinard achouinard at tadl.org
Thu Dec 19 10:07:05 EST 2019

Hi All,

Recently it has come up that the same staff receiving payments for fines
and fees shouldn't be the same staff who can also forgive those same fines
and fees. In our library it is all centralized at our Circ desk, and our
Circ staff deals with all monetary transactions. It has never been an issue
before, but now our Business Manager thinks it could become one for our
auditors. I feel it would be a major inconvenience to our patrons if we
have to find another staff person to witness the transaction everytime we
forgive a fine. Looking for feedback to see what other libraries do.

Thank you,

Anita Chouinard
Circulation Coordinator
Traverse Area District Library