[Michlib-l] Speaker Recommendations Compilation of Responses

Margaret Bentley margaret.bentley at sdl.lib.mi.us
Fri May 18 14:42:21 EDT 2018

Thank you to everyone who answered my questions about Michigan history
related speakers.  I received a lot of answers and will be exploring some
of these options further.  For those who asked, this is what I received:

We just had Mike Fornes talk about the USCGC Mackinaw. He gave a very
interesting and entertaining presentation and sold his books at the end. He
also does a Mackinaw Bridge presentation as well as the Edmund Fitzgerald.
If interested, I can send you his contact information. He charges
$250.00  (*Mary
Vergowven, Reference Librarian, Bedford Branch, Library,Monroe County
Library System)*

I have worked with the Eichers multiple times. They do wonderful programs.
That said, they are VERY enthusiastic about promoting their programs. So if
you inquire with them, be prepared for multiple emails and phone calls,
both before and after you book them, and during the next programming cycle.
(Britney, Library Director , Alvah N. Belding Memorial Library )

I’d suggest Roger Rosentreter from the History Department at Michigan State
University.  I find his presentations fascinating.  He usually speaks on
Michigan in the Civil War and/or Michigan Military History.  All his talks
are well illustrated with projected visuals.  See URL below for
biographical sketch. (
http://history.msu.edu/people/faculty/roger-rosentreter/) Le Roy G.
Barnett, Grand Ledge MI

We’re going to have Ric Mixter, shipwrecks expert, do a program on the
sinking on the Edmund Fitzgerald in the fall.
http://www.ricmixter.com/lectures.

Our program description will read:

Learn about the day that the “gales of November came early” and the Mighty
Fitz took its fatal plunge. Shipwreck expert Ric Mixter, who has produced
over thirty programs for PBS, the Outdoor Channel and VisionTV network, is
a captivating speaker who will share his extensive knowledge, along with
underwater video.  (Eileen Button, GDL Community Relations Asst.)

We’ve had Al and Dave for several programs. They do excellent work.  Their
programs are engaging and very well done.  I especially like the Amelia
Earhart program and the orphan train program.  We liked them so well that
we had them produce a documentary film about our own historic Hoyt
Library.  (Kim White, Head of Hoyt Library, Public Libraries of Saginaw)

We were contacted by this person, but we have not used him for a program
yet, probably be this Fall. Maybe he has a presentation relating the Civil
War and Michigan:

It was a pleasure speaking with you this afternoon. You can take a look at
my work at www.civilwarnovels.com In addition to writing, I give talks at
service club meetings and libraries. I can be contacted at this e mail
address or by phone at 989 2458656.
Dr. Michael J. Deeb