[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: History Hounds, U.P. History Conference, May/June Michigan History Magazine, Upcoming Events

HSM Main hsm at hsmichigan.org
Mon May 7 09:02:34 EDT 2018

cid:image002.jpg at 01D0250E.A301ABF0

Upcoming History Hounds: The Polar Bear Expedition

The Historical Society of Michigan's History HoundsT Lecture Series allows
attendees to delve into Michigan's history and dig up a bone or two of new
appreciation to take home. In "Invading Russia: The Polar Bear Expedition,"
the next installment of this series on Wednesday, May 9, Gordon Olsen, Grand
Rapids City Historian Emeritus, presents on the Michigan soldiers that were
part of the American intervention in the Russian Civil War.

Registration for each History Hounds lecture closes at 3 p.m. the day BEFORE
the scheduled talk.
<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> Register for
"Invading Russia: The Polar Bear Expedition," or any of our other upcoming
sessions.

Here is a sampling of what you'll learn about at the Upper Peninsula History
Conference.The Soldiers of Fort Mackinac

Have you ever wondered what life was like at Fort Mackinac? Let presenter
Phil Porter from Mackinac State Historic Parks fill you in at this year's
Upper Peninsula History Conference!

-This session tells the story of Fort Mackinac through the lives and
activities of more than 4,500 British and U.S. soldiers who inhabited it
between 1780 and 1895. Th-e presentation includes images of portraits, maps,
and photographs of the soldiers collected from libraries and museums across
the United States and Great Britain.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/UP-history-conference-
flyer.pdf> Download the brochure for the full line-up of sessions.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/upper-peninsula-history-conference/> For
more information on the 2018 U.P. History Conference or to register, visit
our website.

Have you checked out our latest issue of Michigan History magazine?

The May/June issue of Michigan History magazine is on shelves now! Pick up
your copy to discover more about Pewabic Pottery tiles; the Lilacs of
Mackinac Island; and President Lincoln's propagandist from Michigan, James
M. Edmunds.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/read/> Read two FREE
stories from the May/June issue!

 <http://hsmichigan.org/join/michigan-history/> Subscribe to Michigan
History magazine.

cid:image001.jpg at 01CF8A43.BF828E40

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/make-a-donation/>
cid:image011.jpg at 01D3861A.07D4BAD0

cid:image013.jpg at 01D3C819.CAB87460

On May 3, our Michiganders on the Road travelers set off to see the sites of
our Founding of America Tour.

Disappointed you are missing this tour? Don't be... We are repeating the
tour, and there is still time to sign up!

Our Second Founding of America Tour will be from June 6 to June 14. Join us
for a 9-day, 8-night excursion to Washington, D.C.; Colonial Williamsburg;
Monticello; Montpelier; and the Gettysburg Battlefield.

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/founding-america-to
ur/> Visit our website for more information on the tour.

Other Upcoming Tours:

Michigan Maritime Tour

4 days, 3 nights

July 14-17, 2018

Saturday to Tuesday

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/maritime-tour/>
For more information about this tour, check out our website.

Life of Lincoln Tour

4 days, 3 nights

July 27-30, 2018

Friday to Monday

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/life-lincoln-tour/>
For more information about this tour, check out our website.

Color & Culture: A New England Sampler

9 days, 8 nights

October 6-14, 2018

Saturday to the next Sunday

Details and registration coming soon!

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Marilla Historical Society presents "Cemetery Walk," Saturday, May 26,
in Copemish.

The Historic Sleeping Bear Preservation presents "Celebrate Historic
Sleeping Bear," Saturday, June 30, in Maple City.

The Montcalm Heritage Village presents "Annual Montcalm Heritage Festival,"
Thursday, August 2, to Saturday, August 4, in Sidney.

The Les Cheneaux Historical Association presents "Les Cheneaux Islands
Antique Wooden Boat Show and Festival of Arts," Saturday, August 11, in
Hessel.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.