[Michlib-l] Serving wine in the library

Membiela, Clare (MDE) MembielaC at michigan.gov
Thu May 3 18:24:41 EDT 2018

Hello All:

Much depends on the exact nature of the event- if the purpose of the event is to raise money, then a license is likely required.

Here is some additional information regarding special licenses:

https://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-10570_16941-391552--,00.html
http://dmbinternet.state.mi.us/DMB/ORRDocs/AdminCode/1479_2014-141LR_AdminCode.pdf

If the event is not part of the fundraising activities (for example, it is a celebration to thank volunteers, and everything is free), then that could possibly  be different.

It is definitely a good idea to call the Liquor Control Commission (866-813-0011) because the law is a bit tricky- especially if money is in any way related to the event.

In addition, depending on where you are planning the event, I would also check your local ordinances and/or possibly with your local police department. Some local municipalities have prohibitions against alcohol in public (or publicly owned) places and buildings – which the library would be. You would want to be sure your event is in compliance with your municipality’s charter and/ordinances too.

Sincerely,
Clare

Clare D. Membiela, MLS, J.D.
Library Law Consultant
Library of Michigan
MembielaC at michigan.gov<mailto:MembielaC at michigan.gov>
517-335-8132

The research and resources above are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.

Our collective efforts can help make Michigan a Top 10 education state in 10 years!  Here are the goals and strategies: http://mi.gov/top10in10/