[Michlib-l] Security of unstaffed areas

jshirtz at uproc.lib.mi.us jshirtz at uproc.lib.mi.us
Thu Mar 22 13:11:41 EDT 2018

Hello!

I am looking for libraries that have a level or area that is primarily
unstaffed and out of sight of staff members in other areas.

Do you have added security measures in those areas (security cameras, a
doorbell, etc.) to compensate for the lack of a staff member? If there is
an outside entrance to that area do you keep that door locked some, or
all, of the time to prevent people from entering? Is it only open when
staffed? How has the way you've secured the area affected its use by the
public and how has the public reacted?

Please contact me off list at jshirtz at uproc.lib.mi.us with any input you'd
like to share. I very much appreciate it! I'll be happy to compile any

Thank you!
Jessica Shirtz

Library Director
Ishpeming Carnegie Public Library