[Michlib-l] MeL Minute: We have new videos-please share them on social media!

Norris, Sonya (MDE) NorrisS2 at michigan.gov
Thu Mar 22 09:55:33 EDT 2018

Greetings Michigan Library Community,

In an effort to demonstrate the importance of IMLS funding to MeL and the enormous impact it has on the lives of every day citizens, we commissioned a series of short videos. Beginning in January, we started featuring one a month on the MeL homepage. All the videos live on our YouTube channel in a playlist called Celebrating MeL<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsiX4lmeyL4Cm_AfOuTBGCvvGP7NyeeE8>.

We'd like to encourage you to share these videos on your own social media channels. We find that the shorter videos (those lasting about 30 seconds) have the highest rate of viewer completion and we have six of those. They're perfect snippets for embedding on Facebook, Twitter, or your other favorite social networking platform. Just go to the video, click on "Share" beside the thumbs up and thumbs down icons, and this functionality will be available to you. It gives your patrons a feel-good way to support the library by Liking your posts and also provides them with some information they may not know about services they use regularly.

Our longer videos also have strong viewer completion rates and they give us time to tell a story from multiple angles. Don't miss them!
*        MeLCat Patrons<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8r3ND6xhn8&index=11&list=PLsiX4lmeyL4Cm_AfOuTBGCvvGP7NyeeE8> (2:35 minutes) - A very nice collage of MeLCat patrons from all over the state talking about their positive experiences with the service.
*        MeLCat Staff<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED7GDeIafrY&index=10&list=PLsiX4lmeyL4Cm_AfOuTBGCvvGP7NyeeE8> (3:15 minutes) - A behind-the-scenes look at MeLCat with a short tutorial for the new MeLCat user and an explanation of what it can do for them.
*        MeL K-12 Databases<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZmXHMWlA-o&index=4&list=PLsiX4lmeyL4Cm_AfOuTBGCvvGP7NyeeE8> (3:08 minutes) - Sings the praises of using MeL databases in the classroom and beyond for Michigan's K-12 learners who need research help. Hear the voices of teachers as well as high school students.
*        MeL Impact in the Classroom<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnX_OJQMgqQ&list=PLsiX4lmeyL4Cm_AfOuTBGCvvGP7NyeeE8&index=5> (3:32 minutes) - Hear the voices of teachers and students about how MeL can help with school work as well as in their personal lives.

Here are some links to reach the short videos. They're quick, impactful, and were created specifically for social media:
*        MeL for Small Libraries<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3E2xrDtQNs&list=PLsiX4lmeyL4Cm_AfOuTBGCvvGP7NyeeE8&index=8> (37 seconds) - The value of MeLCat for small libraries, especially demonstrating how it assists in augmenting smaller collections.
*        MeL Helping Authors<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74QsR7Xs8Xg&index=1&list=PLsiX4lmeyL4Cm_AfOuTBGCvvGP7NyeeE8> (39 seconds) - This video isn't just for authors but it does an impressive job of showing some very practical, real-world help that MeLCat can provide to residents.
*        MeL Movies, Music and More<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHGT7JBqiKA&index=2&list=PLsiX4lmeyL4Cm_AfOuTBGCvvGP7NyeeE8> (33 seconds) - This video shows the breadth of materials available in MeLCat.
*        MeL Databases<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFc1DVAP_YM&list=PLsiX4lmeyL4Cm_AfOuTBGCvvGP7NyeeE8&index=9> (35 seconds) - A moment with Academic OneFile and General OneFile with Calvin Battle of Jackson District Library
*        MeL in the Classroom<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZECN_UC_h7c&index=3&list=PLsiX4lmeyL4Cm_AfOuTBGCvvGP7NyeeE8> (32 seconds) - This is the quick impact video showing how MeL can help teachers to help students succeed.
*        MeL Behind the Scenes<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlNqboIC1Ec&list=PLsiX4lmeyL4Cm_AfOuTBGCvvGP7NyeeE8&index=7> (36 seconds) - A succinct summary of MeLCat from Sean Cwiek at MCLS talking about the moving parts behind the scenes. A great way to give a sneak peek to your patrons who may not have thought much about what goes into MeLCat.

[Machine generated alternative text: MICHIGAN e LIBRARY  mee]

Brought to you by Sonya Schryer Norris of the MeL Team.

 MeL databases are available to Michigan residents or Michigan library access only.

Want more information on MeL?  Stay tuned for the next MeL Minute available on many Michigan library listservs, email us at contact at mel.org<mailto:contact at mel.org>,  visit http://mel.org<http://mel.org/>, or sign up for the MeL Minute and other Library of Michigan e-mail lists via GovDelivery<https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/MILOM/subscriber/new>. We encourage you to share MeL Minutes with your colleagues and networks.

Sonya Schryer Norris

Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
Lansing, MI 48909