[Michlib-l] Michigan Humanities Council Great Michigan Read tour with Ilyasah Shabazz begins Wednesday, 3/21

Katie Wittenauer kwittenauer at mihumanities.org
Mon Mar 19 13:53:26 EDT 2018

Good afternoon from the Michigan Humanities Council,

This week, we will begin the first of two Great Michigan Read spring tours with the authors of this year's selection, X: A Novel.

>From Wednesday to Saturday, Ilyasah Shabazz will be traveling to Grand Haven, Jackson, Saginaw, Flint, and Sterling Heights for a series of events featuring a facilitated discussion about the novel, a Q & A session with the audience, and book signings. We are grateful to our library, high school, and college partners for hosting the events Wednesday through Friday, and we are looking so forward to Ilyasah's participation in Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference, hosted by the Historical Society of Michigan, on Saturday.

Wednesday, March 21: Evening event in Grand Haven

*         7 p.m.: Facilitated discussion about X: A Novel, Q & A with the audience, and book signing at Loutit District Library, 407 Columbus Ave., Grand Haven

Thursday, March 22: Evening event in Jackson
6 p.m.: Facilitated discussion about X: A Novel, Q & A with the audience, and book signing at Jackson College, Bert Walker Hall, RM144, 2111 Emmons Road, Jackson

Friday, March 23: Daytime event in Saginaw and evening event in Flint

*         10 a.m.: Facilitated discussion about X: A Novel, Q & A with the audience, and book signing at Saginaw High School, 3100 Webber Street, Saginaw (Visitors to the school will need to go through metal detector upon arriving)

*         6:30 p.m.: Facilitated discussion about X: A Novel, Q & A with the audience, and book signing at Flint Public Library, 1026 E. Kearsley Street, Flint

Saturday, March 24: Daytime event in Sterling Heights
As part of Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference, hosted by the Historical Society of Michigan, Ilyasah Shabazz will be speaking at the Wyndham Garden Sterling Heights, 34911 Van Dyke, Sterling Heights. Pre-registration is required and closes today, March 19, at hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/.

*         8:15-9:45 a.m.: Breakfast conference session featuring Ilyasah Shabazz's presentation about Malcolm X in Michigan, followed by a Q & A with conference attendees

*         9:45 a.m.: Photos and book signing
You can also find all of these upcoming dates listed on our website at: http://www.michiganhumanities.org/2017-18-great-michigan-read/2017-18-great-michigan-read-author-tours/. If you are in northern Michigan or the Upper Peninsula, save the date for May 15 to 17, when author Kekla Magoon visits Marquette, Munising, Escanaba, Sault Ste. Marie, and Petoskey.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions, and we look forward to seeing you at Great Michigan Read events around the state this spring.

Best,
Katie

Katie Wittenauer
Program Officer