[Michlib-l] Guns in the Library

Michael Mccaffery mpmccaffery at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 15:03:44 EDT 2018

Open carry/concealed cannot be restricted by libraries. The info sheet in
the thread is indeed accurate.

One thing about the info sheet that may need an addition:

Federal law prohibits firearm ownership for anyone in the following groups:

Federal law establishes the baseline regarding the types of persons who are
ineligible to purchase firearms. The federal Gun Control Act of 1968
<http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/federal-law/background-resources/key-federal-acts-regulating-firearms/>,
codified at 18 U.S.C. § 922, generally prohibits the sale of firearms to
any person who:

   - Has been convicted of, or is under indictment for, a crime punishable
   by imprisonment for more than one year;23
   <http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/who-can-have-a-gun/categories-of-prohibited-people/#footnote_22_322>
   - Is a fugitive from justice;
   - Is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance;24
   <http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/who-can-have-a-gun/categories-of-prohibited-people/#footnote_23_322>
   - Is underage;25
   <http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/who-can-have-a-gun/categories-of-prohibited-people/#footnote_24_322>
   - Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental
   institution;26
   <http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/who-can-have-a-gun/categories-of-prohibited-people/#footnote_25_322>
   - Is unlawfully in the United States or has been admitted to the U.S.
   under a nonimmigrant visa;
   - Has been dishonorably discharged from the military;
   - Has renounced his or her U.S. citizenship;
   - Is subject to a court order restraining him or her from harassing,
   stalking or threatening an intimate partner, his or her child or a child of
   a partner, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate
   partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child; or
   - Has been convicted of a misdemeanor offense of domestic violence.27
   <http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/who-can-have-a-gun/categories-of-prohibited-people/#footnote_26_322>

I believe Michigan adheres to these guidelines as well from what I have
gathered.

FYI.

MPM