[Michlib-l] MeL Minute: How Does MeLCat Circ Stack up with Other Michigan Public Libraries?

Norris, Sonya (MDE) NorrisS2 at michigan.gov
Thu Mar 8 09:01:31 EST 2018

Greetings Michigan Library Community,

Could you name the libraries with the highest circulation numbers of 2017? We asked the State Library Data Coordinator Joe Hamlin for some information from the most recent Public Library Survey and learned MeLCat is number 12!

Location

Total Physical Circulation

Kent District Library

7,045,551

Ann Arbor District Library

6,501,554

West Bloomfield Township Public Library

2,774,828

Capital Area District Libraries

2,189,403

Rochester Hills Public Library

1,849,839

Clinton-Macomb Public Library

1,712,291

Kalamazoo Public Library

1,658,332

Genesee District Library

1,437,664

Grand Rapids Public Library

1,278,705

Canton Public Library

1,224,159

Farmington Community Library

1,081,644

MeLCat

1,080,000

Troy Public Library

1,073,031

Traverse Area District Library

1,069,893

Herrick District Library

1,035,104

The busiest month of 2017 for MeLCat, like most other years, was January. In January 2017, a grand total of 101,366 items were loaned! We've only gone up from there: this past January 105,178 items were loaned through MeLCat. Our best guess as to why January is such a popular borrowing month lies in the traditionally slowest month: December. After a break around the holidays it seems Michiganders are kicking everything back into gear in January! Who knows, maybe it is all those New Year's Resolutions?

All we know for sure is that the success of MeLCat would not be possible without two elements: LSTA funding from the Institute for Museum and Library Services<https://www.imls.gov/>, and all the countless library staff around the state who make sure it continues to run.

Brought to you by Kathy Kosinski of the MeL Team. [cid:image003.jpg at 01D3B6BC.0C677510]

MeL databases are available to Michigan residents or Michigan library access only.

Want more information on MeL?  Stay tuned for the next MeL Minute available on many Michigan library listservs, email us at contact at mel.org<mailto:contact at mel.org>,  visit http://mel.org<http://mel.org/>, or sign up for the MeL Minute and other Library of Michigan e-mail lists via GovDelivery<https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/MILOM/subscriber/new>. We encourage you to share MeL Minutes with your colleagues and networks.

Sonya Schryer Norris

Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
Lansing, MI 48909