[Michlib-l] Religion in the library

Deb Hemmye Deb.Hemmye at FarmLib.org
Fri Jun 15 12:47:46 EDT 2018

Not an expert here, but I am going to suggest that there is an important difference between a cultural display (Pride Month) and a religious display (nativity).  Religious displays run the risk of violating separation of church and state as required by the First Amendment to the US Constitution, while cultural displays do not.

ALA's website (http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/librarybill/interpretations/religion) seems concerned only with the availability of religious materials in the library's collection, but not with religious displays on library property.  But maybe a closer reading would reveal more.

This site gives arguments on both sides:  https://aclu.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000691.  The debate centers on whether or not a religious display on public property amounts to favoring one religion over another, which would violate the Constitution.

Not sure if this helped or not, but now you have more to think about!

Deb Hemmye
Adult Services Librarian
Farmington Community Library
Farmington Branch
248-553-0321, ext. 217
________________________________
From: Don Priest <dpriest at southgate.lib.mi.us>
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2018 11:55 AM
To: michlib-l
Subject: [Michlib-l] Religion in the library

Hi, hoping to get some feedback on a patron complaint.  He took issue with a Nativity that gets put up in front of the library every year, and it's got me wondering if we're implicitly supporting one religion over another.  The library isn't actually responsible for the Nativity, but it's easy to see why people would think we are.  We also put up a Christmas tree every year, and though it has no religious iconography, I'm wondering if we should avoid it in the future.  My research has led me to believe we're not out of line, but religion can be a touchy issue. I'm interested to hear from anyone who has fielded similar complaints, or has a deeper understanding of the issue.  I'm asking around here about the Nativity, just to make sure I have all the facts.

He also took issue with a Pride Month display we have up, as evil according to his religion.  I'm not planning on taking that down, but if anyone has answered a similar challenge I would appreciate hearing how it went.

Don Priest
Southgate Veterans Memorial Library
14680 Dix-Toledo Rd.
Southgate, MI 48195