[Michlib-l] Religion in the library

Don Priest dpriest at southgate.lib.mi.us
Thu Jun 14 11:55:00 EDT 2018

Hi, hoping to get some feedback on a patron complaint. He took issue with a Nativity that gets put up in front of the library every year, and it's got me wondering if we're implicitly supporting one religion over another. The library isn't actually responsible for the Nativity, but it's easy to see why people would think we are. We also put up a Christmas tree every year, and though it has no religious iconography, I'm wondering if we should avoid it in the future. My research has led me to believe we're not out of line, but religion can be a touchy issue. I'm interested to hear from anyone who has fielded similar complaints, or has a deeper understanding of the issue. I'm asking around here about the Nativity, just to make sure I have all the facts.

He also took issue with a Pride Month display we have up, as evil according to his religion. I'm not planning on taking that down, but if anyone has answered a similar challenge I would appreciate hearing how it went.

Don Priest
Southgate Veterans Memorial Library
14680 Dix-Toledo Rd.
Southgate, MI 48195