[Michlib-l] Responses to query about selling envelopes to patrons

Patricia Braden pbraden at romuluslibrary.org
Tue Jun 5 17:29:07 EDT 2018

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query. Here are the responses received:

DO YOU SELL ENVELOPES TO PATRONS?

June 5, 2018

    * We do not advertise that we have them available but do hand them out if requested. We do sell individual stamps.
    * We get the same request (envelopes) but we don’t sell them. I’d be curious to see your responses
    * We give these items away when they are requested by patrons.
    * We don't sell envelopes and manilla folders. However, I have a stack of used manilla folders that someone donated to me and I will give them to anyone who needs one for free. And occasionally we will give a business size envelope to a patron if we have blank ones but we have mostly ones with our address and logo on them which we don't give out. Thankfully, our post office is only a block or two away. I would be interested to hear the results of this questions if you could please compile it.
    * We sell #10 envelopes and postage stamps.
    * We do not sell them but if a patron asks, we tell them we charge 25 cents per envelope.
    * "Sorry, but we aren't an office supply store. Would you like to use one our newsletters to protect your papers until you get home?" Oh, and "There is a post office kitty corner to us," but that probably isn't applicable to you.

    *
The Roseville Public Library sells white business envelopes, 9 x 12 manilla envelopes, pens, pencils, highlighters and lined paper notebooks at the circulation desk. Our biggest sellers are 9 x 12 manilla envelopes and white business envelopes. I purchase them at the dollar store and try to charge as close to what we pay for them as possible so that the price always stays the same even with price fluctuations. It is a service to our patrons as opposed to a fund raiser. Also, offering popular office supplies for sale helps when we explain to patrons that we cannot give them office supplies free of charge.
    * We sell standard business envelopes for 10 cents.
    * We do not sell those items but have provided them to our patrons. The patrons usually make a donation to us.
    * We do! We sell #10 standard white envelopes at 10c each and stamps at currently 50c each at our front desk. Funds from the envelopes are reimbursed to our office supply expense line item and the same for stamps to our postage expense line item. We have had requests for manilla folders and file folders before, but not often enough to set up pricing for them.
    * Yes we do - we had so many patrons "borrowing" stamps, envelopes,etc.. so we just made a pricing sign and offer them now.
    * We do not sell any office supplies. We do give out paperclips to anyone using the printer or copy machine.

Patty

Patty Braden, Director
Romulus Public Library
11121 Wayne Road