[Michlib-l] Lighthouses

Mona Geisler mgeisler at brandonlibrary.org
Tue Jun 5 10:28:58 EDT 2018

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Here are some of the responses:

The Sebewaing Township Library purchased a book last year about the Pointe
aux Barques Lighthouse written by a fellow Michigander, Captain Ron
Burkhard.
He may be interested in doing a lecture and presentation.  His contact
information is rburkhard at charter.net.

Wayne S. Sapulski, Great Lakes Lighthouse historian, author (
https://tinyurl.com/yatlby9z)
734-953-8943
Wsapulski at twmi.rr.com

Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Assoc.
They have a speaker's bureau, and here's their site:
https://www.gllka.com/speaker.html

Dianna Stampfler of Promote Michigan gave a presentation on Haunted
Michigan Lighthouses a few years ago here at Carson City Public Library.
She was excellent. She also gives a presentation on women lighthouse
keepers (Michigan).

I know that Terry Pepper from the Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers
Association - up in Mackinac City - is a great speaker on the subject.  He
may not be traveling much now - he has some health issues - but he might
know people in SE Michigan who can help.  They can be reached here:
http://www.gllka.com/index.html

You might be able to get someone from Save Our South Channel Lights to talk
to your group - http://www.soschannellights.org/.

The Sebewaing Township Library purchased a book last year about the Pointe
aux Barques Lighthouse written by a fellow Michigander, Captain Ron
Burkhard.
He may be interested in doing a lecture and presentation.  His contact
information is rburkhard at charter.net.

In 2016, Mike and Penny did a program on lighthouses with a focus on
photography and what they had to do to "get the right shot" for us.  We had
a good turnout and they were very easy to work with.  I don't know if they
still do programs.
I don't know if that was the type of focus you are interested in but
thought I'd send the contact info along.
Mike and Penny Messer
http://www.pennysfromheavenllc.com/ Penny's from Heaven Photography

810-644-2372
10037 Corunna Road
Swartz Creek, MI   48473

He's not very local to the metro area, but Dr Jay Martin at Central
Michigan University has a keen interest in Maritime History. When I took
his public history course, we all did final projects related to the
lighthouses of Michigan so he may have something of note or know someone
who does. His contact info is available at https://www.cmich.edu/
colleges/chsbs/History/Faculty/Pages/martin_jay.aspx

you can use our unique free digital image database on the SouthHaven
Lighthouse Log Books of the 1800s. Primary history documents that we
digitized and created metadata for: https://www.library.wmich.edu/
digidb/lighthouse/

*Mona Geisler*
Public Services Librarian