[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Life of Lincoln Tour, Remembering the Rockaway, U.P. History Conference, Upcoming Events

HSM Main hsm at hsmichigan.org
Sun Jun 3 15:07:32 EDT 2018

cid:image002.jpg at 01D0250E.A301ABF0

Claim your spot on the Life of Lincoln tour!

Spend 4 days and 3 nights with Michiganders on the Road for an exclusive,
in-depth look at the life of one of America's greatest presidents, Abraham
Lincoln. Spanning from July 27 to July 30, the tour includes a special visit
to the new Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield,
Illinois, along with Lincoln's New Salem State Historic Site, the Lincoln
Home, the Lincoln Tomb in Oak Ridge Cemetery, and much more!

The Life of Lincoln tour is a favorite among our past participants, so you
won't want to miss your chance to join us!

Registration ends on June 15.

<https://hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Lincoln-tour-with-MCSS.pd
f> Take a look at the detailed itinerary.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/> Check out our
other upcoming tours.

For more information about the "Life of Lincoln" tour,

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/life-lincoln-tour/>
visit our website.

Join the conversation! Connecting with us

through Facebook

Do you have a Facebook account? If you're looking for more HSM news and
interesting Michigan history facts, don't forget to "like" our Historical
Society of Michigan Facebook page and Michigan History Magazine Facebook
page to hear about:

.         Exclusive deals and discounts

.         Upcoming conferences, bus tours, and events

.         Unique Michigan history content

.         A wide network of Michigan history fans

.         Instant communication with HSM staff via comments and messages

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> Join us today!

Upcoming History Hounds: Under the Waves: Remembering the Rockaway

Join guest Kenneth Pott from the Meijer Heritage Center in his presentation
on the wreck of the schooner Rockaway. In 1983, the wreck was discovered in
70 feet of water near South Haven. Archaeological fieldwork on the Rockaway
would represent the first full-scale excavation of a historic shipwreck site
on the American side of the Great Lakes. Learn about this fabulous find and
its contribution to maritime history.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> Visit our
website to register for this session!

Avoid late fees-Register for the U.P. History Conference!

June 22-24, 2018 - St. Ignace

Explore the Straits of Mackinac at the upcoming Upper Peninsula History
Conference in St. Ignace! If you are interested in Michigan's fur trading
days, Native American history, shipwrecks, Fort Michilimackinac, or the
history of the U.P., this is the conference for you. Come for an exciting
weekend in the beautiful town of St. Ignace and explore what it means to
celebrate Michigan's history. In addition to several exciting sessions,
keynotes, and tours, the Upper Peninsula History Awards will also be
presented.

Registration closes on June 10.

<http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/upper-peninsula-history-conference/up-con
ference-registration/> Sign up today!

PLEASE NOTE: The conference hotel, the Breakers, has sold out. Arrangements
have been made at the Baymont hotel in St. Ignace, and they will honor the
$104 conference room rate. Please call (906) 643-8411 to make a reservation.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/UP-history-conference-
flyer.pdf> Download the flyer for more information and session descriptions.

State History Awards applications due July 27!

Each year, the Historical Society of Michigan presents State History Awards
to individuals and organizations that have made outstanding contributions to
the appreciation and understanding of Michigan history. Please note that
nominations and supporting materials must be received in our office by
Friday, July 27, 2018, at 5 p.m. Nominations received after that date and
time will not be accepted, regardless of the postmark.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/State-History-Award-No
mination.pdf> Download the nomination form here.

cid:image001.jpg at 01CF8A43.BF828E40

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/make-a-donation/>
cid:image011.jpg at 01D3861A.07D4BAD0

Straight from our May/June issue of Chronicle is this unique recipe for
Acorn Muffins:

.         2 cups acorn flour

.         1 cup wheat flour

.         1 tablespoon baking powder

.         2 eggs

.         1 cup of milk

.         1 cup of maple or black walnut syrup

.         2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries

.         Handful of hickory nuts

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Then add the eggs, milk, and syrup.
Fold in cranberries. Then spoon the mixture into muffin tin, using paper
muffin liners. Sprinkle hickory nuts on top of the muffins. Bake for 12 to
15 minutes at 400 degrees.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/chronicle/> Check out the current issue
of Chronicle.

Upcoming History Hounds Sessions:

Semper Fi: A Michigan Marine's Journey From Detroit to Tokyo Bay

with Christopher N. Blaker, Historical Society of Michigan

Hear the Roar: The Detroit Tigers' Tale

with William Anderson, Ludington/Mason County Cultural Economic Development
Task Force

Idlewild: Michigan's Premier African-American Resort

with Morris Thomas, Michigan State University

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> Check out
our website for more.

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Beaver Island Historical Society presents "Water/Ways," Sunday, August
5, in Beaver Island.

The Salem Area Historical Society presents "SAHS Arts & Crafts Fair,"
Saturday, August 18, in Plymouth.

The Michigan Technological University presents "WWI in the Copper Country:
Armistice & Aftermath Symposium," Sunday, September 30, in Houghton.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line. If you received this

e-mail as part of your participation in the Michlib-l mailing list
(listserv), please follow their removal process.