[Michlib-l] pack/no-pack responses

Loretta Sherfield sherfieldl at branchdistrictlibrary.org
Tue Jul 10 15:06:57 EDT 2018

Here's what we have received so far.

*We started out as a pack library.  We purchase our own envelopes if we
run out.  We then went no-pack and within a few weeks had more items
coming back with banged up corners, gouged covers, etc.  We then
switched back to pack and I am glad.  It seemed we were always
submitting a complaint or request for payment to Rides.  The problem we
ran into after we switched back was that libraries returning items to us
had printed the MeL straps or labels ahead of time and it showed we were
no-pack.  So we had to ask Sue to remind libraries to be aware that
libraries may change their preferences and to be on the look out.  Don't
get me wrong, I think having the option is great, but our items were
getting damaged and it was cheaper for us to purchase envelopes than
replace books.

Hope this helps!

*Hi Loretta, we've been no-pack for a number of years. We love it!

  * Not much damage at all, mainly to larger, skinny paperbacks that
    curl if people use hefty rubber bands.
  * Do realize, though, that RIDES won't reimburse for lost no-pack
    items, only AV.  As we use a local delivery system instead of RIDES,
    it's a moot point for us as each system tends to blame the other for
    everything!  Can't say that we've lost many items either, though.
  * We have put a few new envelopes into the system, but I can't say
    we've needed to do it often.  In fact, we've offered up bundles of
    envelopes in the past when they've stacked up past what we can
    store.  Some libraries will send your items back packed regardless,
    so I think that's where we gain them...
  * Boxes for AV are another story.  We box all AV (our own and others')
    just to be safe.  However, as MeL allows envelopes for AV packing
    you could go that route if you wish.  Boxes, though, definitely
    prevent almost all AV damage so it's a nice thing to do if you can
    afford it.  We use Uline for our boxes, but I'm sure there are other
    options out there.
  * I think many libraries use the system of 2/page labels for no-pack
    and 6/page for pack (you might already do this), and it usually
    doesn't let us down.
  * If you do switch, we've found it is safest if you stick one end of
    the larger label inside the book, fold it over the cover, and then
    use at least 3 rubber bands to secure.

*We're no pack.  Huge time-saver.  I don't see things coming back damaged.

*I was a little leary of moving to no-pack, but it has worked out well.
There have been a few damaged items, usually CDs which weren't packed.
I'm rarely low (or have too many) envelopes. It has saved us a lot of
staff time.

*We are a no-pack library. Made the switch from pack about two years
ago. We have lost maybe two books to damage in all that time.  I think
for a public library, no-pack is the way to go.  Needless to say, we
save a lot on packaging materials and it's better from a workflow
standpoint also.

*We have always been no pack and had no problems; in fact I wish
everyone were except for AV and obviously fragile items like pop ups. We
bought a few DVD mailers early on but have never needed to purchase
anything else.

*In our area packing envelopes can not be recycled so we put out the
word to our patrons that we recycle packing envelopes and our patrons
bring bags and boxes of them to us. We have never had to purchase
envelopes and are often giving boxes of them away because we end up with
too many.  Patrons also appreciate that we reuse them.

*We are a no pack library.The con is that if something is damaged or
lost in transit you are not eligible for reimbursement.The big pro for
us is time savings.We do a large MeLCat volume.It is much more cost
effective for us in terms of staff time vs. the occasional cost of a
lost/damaged item.

*Hi Loretta

Cadillac Wexford Public Library is NO PACK, and we have been almost from
the beginning of our participation in MeLCat.  We experience very little
damage from RIDES issues, and what does happen certainly doesn't equal
the extra cost of packaging materials and the staff time to pack non AV
items.  We try to re-use the materials we receive from packed items for
the items we need to send back packaged, so need to buy very few
supplies: mostly tape and sometimes rubber bands.  I hope this
information is helpful.

*Hi Loretta,

I passed your query to my staff who handle our MEL's and here is a response:

*"We have been very happy being a no-pack library. The time it saves is
immeasurable and it also saves paper and space in our bins. Also, after
being no-pack since the beginning, we have had no problem at all with
material being damaged.

Hope this helps"

Have a great Tuesday!

*We have been a no pack library for about 10 years and less than a
handful of books have actually been damaged. I must say it is very nice
not having to place our books in envelopes and saves time for sure. When
we switched to no pack I was nervous about items being lost or damaged
but I am so glad we did switch. You won't regret it!

Whatever you choose there are always libraries needing to get rid of
envelopes, we share with other libraries:)

*We are an academic library, so we tend to hang on to our holdings for a long time. Largely because of this, we pack, to cut down on damages and lost items. Also, we tape the shipping labels to the package, and we think this reduces potential for shipping errors, due to lost labels, etc.

We do purchase some envelopes, and reuse many of the envelopes we receive.

If we run short, we will respond to offers for packing materials available, and if we have extra, we offer them on the listserve.

All in all, Mel costs us so much less than regular ILL, so we don't worry too much about the envelope costs; we'd be buying them anyway.

Hope this is helpful

*We here in Allendale are a no pack and I can't recall a single item being

damaged, as a result, in my 7 years.

*We are a pack library and cannot imagine going any other way.I actually have

had a couple of our books returned without packing and they were damaged.Of

course I have no idea if it happened in delivery or while the other user had

it but usually the borrowing library tells me that it was fine when they send

it into delivery.

I recycle envelopes from anything that we get in.I purchase movies from

Amazon and they come in nice large bubbled envelopes.I just take off the

mailing label and voila!Many of my staff have started bringing in their used

envelopes too as a way to recycle them.If need be, I have purchased a large

box of envelopes from Sam's before too.

My biggest frustration with the no pack libraries is how to get the labels on

to return them.We have gotten some fairly mean emails from libraries because

a little bit of tape has gotten on the cover of their book.We always use

removeable tape but apparently sometimes it does damage the cover.We

definitely try to not get tape on the cover but sometimes it just feels

impossible, we usually tape the rubber bands but.....-we want the book to get

back home!!

Just my two cents worth—

*We have had packaged items damaged, so I wonder if they are more
careful with unpackaged items.

We usually have plenty of envelopes.  Whenever something arrives to my
house in a packing envelope, I bring in the envelope to re-use.

--
Loretta Sherfield
Branch District Library