[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: U.P. History Award Nominations, Upcoming Conference, Agatha Biddle, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Jan 19 16:07:36 EST 2018

It's Time to Submit Your U.P. History Award Nominations!

Each year, the Historical Society of Michigan presents two awards at the
Upper Peninsula History Conference: the Charles Follo Award for individuals
and the Superior Award for historical organizations based in the Upper
Peninsula.

Do you know an individual or historical organization that has done marvelous
things to preserve and promote the history of Michigan's Upper Peninsula?

For individuals, please consider nominating that person for the Charles
Follo Award, which is presented to the individual who has made the most
outstanding contribution to the preservation and promotion of U.P. history.

For historical organizations, please consider nominating them for the
Superior Award, which recognizes historical societies, museums, and other
historical organizations that have preserved and advanced U.P. history.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/awards/upper-peninsula-history-awards/> To
nominate an individual or historical organization, visit our website to
download the nomination form!

Registration is now open for the 60th annual
Michigan in Perspective:
The Local History Conference!

Sign up today to take advantage of early-bird pricing for registration!

Friday & Saturday, March 23 & 24, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Michigan-in-Perspectiv
e-online.pdf>

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Michigan-in-Perspectiv
e-online.pdf> Click here to download the brochure for more information and
session descriptions.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/registration
/> Go to online registration.

Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference is held annually in
the Wayne/Oakland/Macomb tri-county area and is open to anyone interested in
state or regional history.

Have You Heard of Agatha Biddle?

The story of Mackinac Island cannot be told without including the life of
Agatha Biddle, an Odawa chief who helped preserve Native-American customs
and traditions during a period of cultural amalgamation in the larger Great
Lakes region. Today, Biddle is remembered for the impact she made on
Michigan's Native-American tribes as well as Mackinac Island society during
the tumultuous nineteenth century.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/current-highlighted-ma
gazine-story.pdf> If you're interested in learning Agatha Biddle's story,
read her article on us!

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/read/> See what's in
our current issue!

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/make-a-donation/>

Looking for a historical and fun way to learn more about Michigan's history?
Attend one of our upcoming History Skills Workshops!

Upcoming Workshops:

February 16 - Fading Photos: How to Identify, Scan, Restore, and Archive
Historical Photographs

March 2 - Selling History: Operating a Museum Store

March 7 - The Do's and Don'ts of Successful Grant Writing

Special Off-Site Workshop in Coloma

March 9 - Keeping Cemeteries Alive! Preserving Headstones and Monuments

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> See the full line-up on our
website!

HONK!

"Michiganders on the RoadT" is waiting for YOU!

Join our group of enthusiast tour-goers for our upcoming "Founding of
America Tour" to Washington, D.C.; Colonial Williamsburg, and several
historic homes from our nation's founding fathers!

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/founding-america-to
ur/> Learn more on our website!

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Grand Rapids Public Library presents "Wagoosh: The Fox, Louis Campau,"
Thursday, February 8, in Grand Rapids.

The Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society presents "Vintage Valentines
Open House," Sunday, February 11, in West Bloomfield Township.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.