[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Conference Registration, Michigan Road Trip, History Hounds, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Jan 5 12:54:31 EST 2018

Registration is now open for the 60th annual
Michigan in Perspective:
The Local History Conference!

Sign up today to take advantage of early-bird pricing for registration!

Friday & Saturday, March 23 & 24, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Michigan-in-Perspectiv
e-online.pdf>

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Michigan-in-Perspectiv
e-online.pdf> Click here to download the brochure for more information and
session descriptions.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/registration
/> Go to online registration.

Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference is held annually in
the Wayne/Oakland/Macomb tri-county area and is open to anyone interested in
state or regional history.

The largest of our three conferences, this year’s conference offers

·         Four keynotes

o   From Isolationist to Internationalist: Senator Arthur Vandenberg With
Hendrik Meijer of Meijer Inc.

o   Interviewing Michigan: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly With Chuck Stokes
of WXYZ/WMYD-TV 7/20 Detroit

o   From Mason to the Motor City: Malcolm X in Detroit With Ilyasah Shabazz
of Ilyasah Shabazz Enterprises

o   A Conversation With Judge Avern Cohn With Columnist and Commentator Jack
Lessenberry

·         Twenty-five breakout sessions that address local and statewide
history.

·         Nearly 50 exhibitors/vendors for attendees to visit.

·         Friday Reception featuring the musical ensemble “Michigan
Strings.”

·         Saturday Gala: We Built This County: Voices of Macomb’s Past.

·         Two days full of “meet and greets,” refreshments, and optional
meals.

Swimming History: Michigan’s Grayling

Grayling once thrived in Michigan. The beautiful fish’s dorsal fin stuck up
like a sail. Rivers such as the Au Sable teemed with grayling. Fishermen
claimed that they could catch three grayling with one cast. During the late
19th century, overfishing, logging, habitat destruction, and introduction of
non-native trout species destroyed the grayling. The last grayling in
Michigan died out in the 1930s. The city of Grayling, in Crawford County, is
named for the fish.

Do You Like Michigan Road Trips?

In our January/February issue of Michigan History, we introduced a new
section titled “Manny on the Move,” a two-page spread devoted to
historically entertaining road trip ideas focusing on different areas of
Michigan. Manny, our HSM Magazines mascot, takes readers of a journey
through historical sites of note in “Sunny-Side Up—Touring M-25’s Sunrise
Coast.” Most of the sites in this road trip are locations that are free to
visit, and include fun tidbits for the whole family.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/current-Made-in-Michig
an.pdf> Interested in following Manny’s journey? Read our issue’s new
section on us today!

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/read/> See what’s in
our current issue!

History Hounds™ Presents

Millennial Visions & Earthly Pursuits: The Israelite House of David

January 10, 2018

Millennialist preachers Benjamin and Mary Purnell founded the Israelite
House of David in Benton Harbor in 1903. Their religious commune soon
gathered hundreds of members and became an economic powerhouse, with an
amusement park, jazz band, and baseball team. Scandals and feuds rocked the
colony, but it survives as one of America’s oldest communal orders.

All lectures are at 7 p.m., and take place at the Meijer Education Center at
the Historical Society of Michigan. Members of the Society can attend for
free, and non-members can attend for $7/person.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> Learn more
and register on our website!

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state’s oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan’s rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. • Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 • FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/make-a-donation/>

Learn About Lake Superior’s “Phantom Islands”

Have you ever visited Isle Phelipeaux or Isle Pontchartrain in Lake
Superior? No? Neither has anyone else—they are Michigan's "phantom islands."

These islands first appeared on maps during Michigan’s 18th-century colonial
era, having been most likely invented by French officers eager to flatter
the French secretary of the navy, Louis Phélypeaux, Comte de Pontchartrain

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> Check out the rest of the tale on
our Facebook page!

HONK!

“Michiganders on the Road™” is waiting for YOU!

Join our group of enthusiast tour-goers for our upcoming “Founding of
America Tour” to Washington D.C., Colonial Williamsburg, and several
historic homes from our nation’s founding fathers!

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/founding-america-to
ur/> Learn more on our website!

Upcoming History Hounds™ Lectures

February 14

“The Worst Colonel I Ever Saw”: Francis Quinn and the Battle of Shiloh

March 14

The Mighty Mac: Connecting Michigan’s Peninsulas

April 11

Murder and Mayhem: True Crime in Michigan History

May 9

Invading Russia: The Polar Bear Expedition

 <https://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> See the
full list of 2018 lectures on our website

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Holland Area Historical Society presents “Answering the Call: Company K
Sharpshooters in the Civil War,” Tuesday, March 13, in Holland.

The Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society presents “From Hastings to
Home: An Introduction to Detroit’s Early Jewish History,” Sunday, March 25,
in West Bloomfield.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM’s online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you’d like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state’s
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with “remove” in the
subject line.