[Michlib-l] Out of District Fees

Cory Grimminck cgrimminck at portlandmilibrary.com
Wed Feb 21 18:44:29 EST 2018

My board is considering instituting an annual fee for patrons who live
outside our district.  I have a few questions for those libraries that do
charge an out-of-district fee, particularly if such a fee was instituted
during your tenure at the library.

1) How much do you charge, and how did you arrive at that number?
2) How many out-of-district cards do you issue per year?
3) Does your year begin when the patron pays the fee, or is it based on the
calendar year?  Do you pro-rate the fee if someone joins partway through
the year?
4) Do you feel that you are losing patrons and/or not providing necessary
service to everyone?
5) If these fees were instituted during your tenure, can you tell me how
patrons reacted to the new fees?
6) Do you have any sort of operational millage?

Thanks for your time,

Cory