[Michlib-l] Services for Homeless Patrons/Patrons in Need of Assistance

Susan Wizinsky swizinsky at rc.edu
Thu Aug 30 13:55:07 EDT 2018

Regarding local community agencies, there is no need to re-invent the
wheel.Michigan
2-1-1 <http://www.mi211.org/get-help> is all you need. In the 1970s,
Detroit Public Library Director, Clara Stanton Jones began to meet the need
for community information and her efforts eventually led to community
information databases across the country and a national number!

Best regards,
Susan

Formerly with the TIP Database Department, Detroit Public Library

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 2:41 PM Jessica Bostian via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Michigan Libraries,
>
>      Hello! We are discovering a need in our community to help patrons who
> have fallen on hard times, and have started gathering resources and
> information about some of our local agencies so we can better direct needs
> to solutions.
>
>      We recently decided to try a new service in which we leave sealed,
> bagged toiletry items for free in our public restrooms as one form of
> service, and are looking as to other ways we might be able to help.
>
>      I am curious as to any services/programs/resources applicable for
> public institutions that any fellow Michigan libraries have implemented and
> have experience with, both successes and failures. If anyone has
> information relevant to these services, I would greatly appreciate feedback!
>
>      Thank you all for your time and assistance. Have a great day/holiday
> weekend!
>
> --
> Jessica Bostian
> Ruth Hughes Memorial District Library