[Michlib-l] Beginning to Read/Easy Reader Collections

Erin Strand strande at cantonpl.org
Mon Aug 13 10:46:11 EDT 2018

Hi Nicole,

Our Easy Readers are alphabetical by the first three letters of the author's last name, with some exceptions for series (all Disney, Marvel, Barbie, DC Books are shelved under the larger umbrella title, for example).

Each book has a colored dot at the top of the spine - we have four levels to help patrons pinpoint difficulty. I put those on myself and we use ¼" dots so they don't take up much spine space, but the bright colors are still distinct.

This seems to be working fairly well for us. Circulation for this collection is relatively high and we've gotten good feedback from patrons and staff about the dotted levels. The biggest challenges are keeping track of the series that are shelved by title to make sure they get the right spine label, and physically getting the dots on the books.

Please, if you have any further questions just send me a email.

Erin Strand
Information Services Librarian
strande at cantonpl.org

Canton Public Library