[Michlib-l] Webinar announcement: QUILTBAG: Welcoming and Supporting LGBTQ+ Teens in the Library

Kate Andrade kate at woodlands.lib.mi.us
Mon Apr 23 17:49:48 EDT 2018

QUILTBAG: Welcoming and Supporting LGBTQ+ Teens in the Library
A one-hour webinar
Wednesday, May 30, 2018
1:30 to 2:30pm
Online from the comfort of your own screen

Being a teen is difficult—your whole life is a swirl of confusion and
emotion and hormones and stress. But imagine for a moment that you are a
teen whose sexuality does not conform to the norms in your small, rural,
Michigan town. Where would you turn for information and support and a safe
space to explore who you are? The answer, of course: your local library!

But the LGBTQ+ world changes so fast, and not all of us are comfortable
keeping up with it. As teen librarians, we’ve pledged to serve all the
youth who come through our doors, but sometimes LGBTQ+ teens can be a
challenge. What do LGBTQ+ teens need from us? How can we approach them and
start conversations that mean something? What issues might we confront? Get
all these answers and more from Katie Mitchell, Saline District Library
teen librarian extraordinaire! She will give you all the tools you need to
truly welcome and engage this demographic . . . and make a difference in
young lives.

Sponsored by Woodlands Library Cooperative’s Children’s & Teen Services
Committee, this one-hour webinar will help smooth the way for you by
increasing your comfort level. We’ll help you get your policies and talking
points in place before any issues arise. We’ll help you do your part to
help decrease teen depression and suicide in your community. You’ll learn
how to bridge the gap between your board and the teens in your area!

*Free* for all to attend. Register here:
http://woodlands.lib.mi.us/events/quiltbag/

kate
--
Kate Pohjola Andrade, Director