[Michlib-l] ALA News for September 5, 2017

Steven Bowers sbowers at wayne.edu
Wed Sep 6 11:09:02 EDT 2017

ALA News for September 5, 2017

NEWS FROM THE AMERICAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION

ALA responds to end of Deferred Action to Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program
American Library Association President Jim Neal has released a message regarding the Trump administration’s announcement that it will end the Deferred Action to Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which protected nearly 800,000 undocumented youth from deportation as they pursued the American dream.
"Our nation’s libraries serve all community members, including immigrants, offering services and educational resources that transform communities, open minds and promote inclusion and diversity,“ said Neal.
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2017/09/ala-responds-end-deferred-action-childhood-arrivals-daca-program

ALA and GLBTRT work to safeguard civil liberties, continue to support understanding and mutual respect
The American Library Association (ALA) and the ALA’s Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Round Table (GLBTRT) released a statement in response to policy efforts to exclude transgender individuals from military service, LGBTQ recognition under the Civil Rights Act and other protections from discrimination by means of actions addressing religious freedom.
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2017/09/ala-and-glbtrt-work-safeguard-civil-liberties-continue-support-understanding-and

Nominations will close Sept. 18 for 2017 I Love My Librarian Award
Library users nationwide have through Monday, Sept. 18 to nominate their favorite librarians for the American Library Association (ALA)’s prestigious 2017 I Love My Librarian Award. Members of the public can nominate library professionals who have transformed lives and communities by visiting http://www.ilovelibraries.org/lovemylibrarian. The award recognizes the public service of exceptional public, school, college, community college or university librarians in the U.S.
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2017/09/nominations-will-close-sept-18-2017-i-love-my-librarian-award

AASL Twitter chat anticipates launch of “National School Library Standards”
Anticipating the launch of its new “National School Library Standards,” the American Association of School Librarians (AASL) will conduct its first standards-related Twitter chat at 6:00 p.m. Central on Mon., Sept. 18. The chat will be facilitated by members of the standards implementation task force and social media editorial board. Those wishing to participate can follow the hashtag #AASLstandards.
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2017/09/standards-excitement-builds-aasl-twitter-chat

United for Libraries to designate Grant Cottage a Literary Landmark
United for Libraries, in partnership with Empire State Center for the Book and the Friends of the Ulysses S. Grant Cottage, will designate the U.S. Grant Cottage State Historic Site a Literary Landmark.
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2017/09/united-libraries-designate-grant-cottage-literary-landmark

Join the ALA-sponsored tour to Cuba
The tour includes visits to UNESCO historical sites in Havana, Cienfuegos, and Trinidad, along with interactions with Cuban artists, musicians, and writers, and much more. There will also be several opportunities to visit Cuban libraries in different cities.
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2017/09/join-ala-sponsored-tour-cuba

ALA GRANTS
Carnegie-Whitney Grant awards up to $5,000 for guides to library resources
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2017/08/carnegie-whitney-grant-awards-5000-guides-library-resources

FROM ALA PUBLISHING
Making Your Library Work for Homeschoolers workshop
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2017/08/new-session-making-your-library-work-homeschoolers-workshop

Library Director Bootcamp: A free preview
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2017/09/library-director-bootcamp-free-preview

ALA WEBINARS
LLAMA webinar explores 21st Century library ethics
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2017/09/llama-webinar-explores-21st-century-library-ethics