[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Upcoming History Hounds, Fun Facts, Upcoming Workshop, HSM's Buggy Visitor, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Sep 1 08:00:24 EDT 2017

Coming Up Next With History HoundsT.

A First Taste of Prohibition: Banning Booze in Midland - September 13

http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/prohibition-dog.jpgAlth
ough Prohibition did not begin throughout the United States until 1920, the
Michigan city of Midland had already outlawed liquor 12 years earlier.
Filled with many historical images, this lecture tells the story of Midland
banning alcohol in 1908 and its continued exclusion of liquor-by-the-glass
until 1967 - 34 years after national Prohibition ended.

History HoundsT is a fun, interactive lecture series produced by the
Historical Society of Michigan centered around interesting historical
subjects from all areas of Michigan.

Lectures are available for HSM members, and an HSM member organization has
the option to live-stream the lecture for its members. It is FREE to attend!

Remote attendance is also supported via our zoom communications system.
Membership organizations and individuals interested in attending but do not
have the means to attend in person can register for remote attendance.
<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> For more
information about attending remotely, see our website or give us a call at
(517) 324-1828.

All History HoundsT lectures are held at 7 p.m. in the Meijer Education
Center, located at 5815 Executive Dr. Lansing, Michigan.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> To learn
more, check out our website!

Michigan's Capital Moves to Lansing

Did you know Michigan's first state capital was in Detroit, not Lansing?

Michigan's 1835 constitution stated that the capital would be in Detroit
until 1847, when the legislature would then decide on a permanent site. Many
towns wanted to become the capital, including Ann Arbor, Jackson, Marshall
and Grand Rapids. The legislature finally chose the nearly uninhabited
Lansing Township. When the location was chosen, Lansing Township was not
even a formal city-it became its own city after the capitol arrangements had
been made.

The first capitol in Lansing was a wooden building and used from 1847 until
1878, when Michigan's current domed capitol was finished.

Don't miss our next History Skills Workshop.

Archives 101

September 15 - 9 a.m.-12 p.m.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> workshop-emblemDesigned for
small organizations that struggle with how to preserve and organize archival
materials in their collections, this workshop will discuss proper storage
and handling of collections, basic arrangement techniques, and affordable
solutions for supplies and enclosures. The session will also address how to
organize collections materials in a manner that makes them accessible to
researchers, students, and members of the general public.

These training opportunities help historical organizations and interested
history advocates gain skills that can be applied in museums, organizations,
and personal collections. Registration is required for participation.

Remote attendance is also supported via our zoom communications system.
Membership organizations and individuals interested in attending but do not
have the means to attend in person can register for remote attendance.
<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> For information on the remote
attendance process, see our website or give us a call at (517) 324-1828.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> To learn more, check out our
website!

HSM's "Buggy" Visitor

On Tuesday, the Historical Society of Michigan had a visit from its first
"buggy" history fan. Those of you who follow us on Facebook probably noticed
our new history lover, but for those of you who missed out on the action,
here is a photo!

Our director, Larry Wagenaar, used his hand as a model for scale size as
this specimen was quite large. As many of you noted on Facebook, the mantis
community is out and about this season! This mantis female left our office
shortly after arriving, but we enjoyed her company while she visited us.

Want to get in on our latest updates and interesting news?
<https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> Follow us on Facebook!

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/>

Calling all HSM Member Organizations!

We're still looking for one-of-a-kind artifacts and items!

Do you have an unusual, one-of-a-kind artifact or item in your collections?
We're looking for eligible items to include in our publications. If you
think you have a unique item of interest, let us know! Eligible items and
artifacts that belong to an HSM member organization will be featured in our
publications, along with your organization's site information.

Please e-mail  <mailto:editor at hsmichigan.org> editor at hsmichigan.org for more
details.

Don't forget to check us out on Facebook!

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> Image result for facebook icon

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> HSM page

Did you know we have an online calendar listing history-related events?

One of our membership benefits for local historical organizations is our
online calendar. Tailored to promote local history events around the state,
our online calendar highlights member organization events and exhibits. Do
you have an event or exhibit you'd like displayed? See our instructions
below to submit to our calendar!

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Iron County Historical Society presents "Miner's Labor Day Picnic,"
Saturday, September 2, in Caspian.

The Elk Rapids Area Historical Society presents "Animals in the Civil War:
Beyond Old Abe and Traveller," Thursday, September 7, in Elk Rapids.

The Northville Historical Society presents "Northville Heritage Festival,"
Friday through Sunday, September 15-17, in Northville.

The Little Traverse Historical Society presents "Historic Home Tour,"
Saturday, September 23, in Petoskey.

The Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society presents "Aromatherapy
History," Wednesday, September 27, in Orchard Lake.

The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum presents "7th Annual Whitefish Point: Run
for the Light 5K/10K Walk/Run," Saturday, October 14, in Paradise.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event on HSM's online calendar and eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.