[Michlib-l] Gemstone Marketing & Print Design

Farrell Howe FarrellH at kpl.gov
Thu May 25 17:11:20 EDT 2017

Good afternoon,

I want to share with other libraries my experience with a company called Gemstone Marketing & Print Design<www.mygemstonedesign.com>, so if you are contacted by them, you may consider our experience before deciding to partner.

In February of last year, Kalamazoo Public Library was approached by a representative from Gemstone with an offer to provide us with up to 5,000 KPL-branded tote bags, for free. The deal was we would give these bags to patrons, and use them at public events. The bags would be paid for through advertisements purchased by local businesses. The offer is part of Gemstone’s “Pay it Forward” Program<http://www.mygemstonedesign.com/pay-it-forward-program> and they claim they do not financially benefit as all monies collected from paid advertisements are used to print and ship the tote bags.

Prior to signing the agreement, I researched Gemstone and found they were in good standing with the Better Business Bureau, did not have any online complaints, and when I contacted some of the libraries they partnered with, the feedback was all positive. As a result, I signed the agreement.

We had several issues arise before they even shipped our first box of tote bags. To date we have only received 500 of the 5,000 bags per the agreement and it has been more than a year since we signed. My biggest concern is how many phone calls I have received from local businesses who informed me that Gemstone’s representatives were rude, pushy, and in a few cases told the business owner they worked for KPL. All of this is unacceptable and I have since cancelled my contract with Gemstone and am now working to alert and apologize to our local businesses.

The reputation of Kalamazoo Public Library in our community is priceless to me. I feel that Gemstone employees’ poor treatment of our local business owners tarnished that reputation, and no amount of free tote bags is worth that.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this company, please contact me.

Regards,

Farrell Howe
Marketing and Communication Manager
Kalamazoo Public Library
269-553-7879

[cid:B7CDD301-2272-4DEC-8977-F639F491827B]