[Michlib-l] Board gaming collections

Jack Visnaw III visnawj at cantonpl.org
Tue May 23 15:15:52 EDT 2017

Hello,

My library is considering whether to develop a circulating board game collection, and I was hoping folks who currently have this type of collection would be willing to share their experiences.

The questions below represent the core issues our investigation committee identified as areas needing further research, but we welcome any info you would like to share.

-          What is the size (i.e., number of items) in your collection and how long have you been circulating games?

-          How do you shelve/display board games that are available for checkout?

-          How do you handle returned games with multiple parts?  (E.g., do you count every counter, card, playing piece, etc. each time it is returned?)

-          How do you handle dealing with missing parts when an item is returned?  How do you handle replacing missing components?

-          What issues did you encounter that you weren't expecting when you first launched the collection and how did you deal with these issues?

-          Do you have any other advice for libraries who are contemplating a circulating board game collection?

Thank you for any insights you can provide!

Jack Visnaw
Librarian Manager - Youth
Canton Public Library
1200 S. Canton Center Rd.