[Michlib-l] Question

stephanie daniels daniels55 at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 05:00:29 EDT 2017

Dear Library Directors,
Does any district library or public library in Michigan operate in a building that they do not own? or share a building with another entity? In our situation we are are landlocked and need more space. We don't have enough money to build a new building and our community could not support this expense. The school is moving out of one of its buildings as they have added on to one of the other schools and are consolidating classes. This leaves an empty 40,000 sq. ft. building that needs major repairs. A well known community member has offered up to 1 million dollars to fix the problems with the old school building such as new roof, heating and air-conditioning. We have been asked to consider moving the Hartford Public Library into the building. It will be considered a community center. We would be the largest participant considering occupying 15,000 sq ft. approx. We will still maintain our name. The other participants will be the Hartford Senior center and the adult education classes. The project hinges on our participation. It is a win win situation for us, because of our space issue, but the Board is concerned about such a move. There are lots of big details to discuss before an agreement can be made. We are asking for comments.
Regards,Stephanie DanielsDirectorHartford Public LibraryHartford, MI 49057