[Michlib-l] Family History Database

Keegan Sulecki ksulecki at chelseadistrictlibrary.org
Mon May 8 16:15:48 EDT 2017

Hi Everyone,

Like many communities, here in Chelsea local history and genealogy are very
important to our patrons and we currently have an extensive database of
local obituaries. However, this database is very clunky and in need of an
update. It is a MySQL database with images inside that serves as an
obituary index. We either need help extracting the images out of the
database and linking the new location back into the record or a full
replacement.

I am trying to figure out the best course of action for provided better
access to this information and how much it will cost us. I don't know if
there is something already out there that we could buy into or if we need
someone to update our current database or custom code us a new one.

If any of you have experience with such a database I would appreciate your
feedback on the following questions:

Do you have existing software that you are using that might be available to
us? Do you like it? Do you know the pricing?

Do you know of a reliable of MySQL/PHP coder who could help us?
If you had a custom database coded how much did it cost?

Any additional information that might be relevant would also be much
appreciated.

Thanks!
Keegan

--