[Michlib-l] MeL Minute: Changes to the Discovery Service

Norris, Sonya (MDE) NorrisS2 at michigan.gov
Thu May 4 09:56:28 EDT 2017

Now it's easier than ever to search just the parts of MeL that you are interested in from the MeL homepage. We've added two tabs to the search box. By default you continue to search all resources but now you can also choose to search either just MeLCat or just Articles and eResources by simply clicking on the labeled tab.

The MeLCat tab searches the shared catalog. Articles and eResources is a little more complicated. The good news is that it's also easier than it used to be. Articles and eResources includes many MeL databases, curated websites, articles from popular and academic journals as well as magazines and digital repositories. After usability testing, we determined that it was not helpful to have a large collection of scholarly works that were not actually drawn from our own purchased content. Since we've removed it, the search results are much more likely to be relevant to the Michigan residents who rely on MeL for information.

We also opted to remove the Advanced Search option from the homepage. It performed very poorly in testing among non-library staff and in fact proved to be more of a hindrance than a help to successful searching. Advanced Search is still available to you from the search results screen, just look for the discreet link under the search box on the top of the results page.

We hope these changes will make the homepage search box more attractive and useful and for you.

MeL Minutes are brought to you by the Library of Michigan.  Want more information on MeL?  Stay tuned for the next MeL Minute available on many Michigan library listservs, email us at contact at mel.org<mailto:contact at mel.org>,  visit http://mel.org<http://mel.org/>, or Sign up for the MeL Minute and other Library of Michigan e-mail lists via GovDelivery<https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/MILOM/subscriber/new>. We encourage you to share MeL Minutes with your colleagues and networks.

Sonya Schryer Norris
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
PO Box 30009
Lansing, MI 48909
517-373-4457

http://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan
http://www.mel.org<http://www.mel.org/>
http://www.michlibrary.org<http://www.michlibrary.org/>

Did you know most Michigan educator certificates expire June 30th of any given year?  Educators can check expiration dates and renew or progress certificates using the Michigan Online Educator Certification System at www.michigan.gov/moecs<http://www.michigan.gov/moecs>.  Not your year for renewal?  Use MOECS to manage professional learning for future renewals, view effectiveness ratings and update personal information!
[cid:image004.jpg at 01D2C025.EAA99170]