[Michlib-l] Fax machine recommendations

Patricia Braden pbraden at tln.lib.mi.us
Fri Mar 31 13:34:50 EDT 2017

Thanks for the responses!

FAX MACHINE SUMMARY
March 31, 2017

We found out that our copier has fax capabilities and have enabled that feature. It allowed us to discontinue that pots line that the previous machine utilized and to decrease annual costs for faxing. I would be happy to answer any questions that you have if this is something you are interested in for your facility. I hope you find the right fit for your community. We have found that it is faster for submission. Part of our reason for the change was due to the high demand for the service. We are one of only two places in town that offer faxing.
Houghton Lake PL

Our copier is our fax machine. We also have the Envisionware Library Document Station which faxes and scans to email or thumb drive for patron use. We do like the Envisionware Doc Station, which faxes and scans. Not cheap, I believe we spent about $7,000. But it is extremely easy - intuitive - for patrons to use.
Commerce Township PL

We use the ScanFax24 service – they sent us a machine and it is completely self-service. We didn’t pay anything for the machine and get a little bit of revenue back (nothing significant). We went that route in order to ease the burden on staff while still providing a faxing service. My staff does need to occasionally assist – it depends on the level of comfort the patron has with technology. But, it is still less staff time than or old system (which was a fax machine in the back and staff had to go back there and run things through for people, stand there until it went through, and accept the money). Another benefit is confirmations are through Fax24. I don’t think we pay for each use – if I remember correctly, it runs through Fax24’s phone service so we don’t pay anything. Instead, they pay us a bit.
Flat River PL

Dexter does about 2-3 faxes per day for the public. We have a Brother Intellifax 2840 - staff reports no problems and it's easy to use. It has been in service for 2-3 years. It is just a fax machine and not connected to any pay services (coin-op, credit card, etc.) Patrons pay at the circ desk and then show the receipt to the ref staff. We can also fax through our office copier, but that's a whole other deal. We don't make that available to the public, but it could be done and would be faster. The office macine has a document feeder and better scanner whereas the Brother is more like a standard desktop fax.

We just got:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OG5W3M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MCD Library

Our Brother Intellifax 2820 has lasted for years for our small branch (50 faxes per month approx)
Quincy Branch Lib

Patty

Patty Braden
Library Director