[Michlib-l] MeL Minute: Best Practices for Linking to MeL Resources

Norris, Sonya (MDE) NorrisS2 at michigan.gov
Thu Mar 30 13:27:27 EDT 2017

Community members, library patrons, and staff naturally gravitate to your library's website to search your catalog, read about programs and find out about the latest books and media.  The Michigan eLibrary would like to capitalize on the loyal following you have developed by encouraging all Michigan libraries to include current links to MeL.org and its various components on your site.  Recently, a quick survey of public libraries found that libraries' linkage to MeL runs the gamut from none at all, to full identification of MeL, MeLCat, MeL eResources, Michigana, Help, and About on the library's site.  We hope that you can integrate some if not all of the MeL.org elements on your library's website.  We thank you and are sure your patrons will too.  Here are a few suggestions:

*        When linking to specific MeL.org eResources (databases), feel free to use the icon found in the alphabetic list of databases.  These are custom designed for MeL and are freely available for you to right click with your mouse and save to your computer to use on your own site.

*        Remember to use the Geo-Ip address url for the eResource.  These are found by clicking on "More" in the resource description.  Using any other url will prevent your users from freely and directly accessing MeL eResources.

*        If you link to the MeLCat catalog (new or classic version) label it as MeLCat, not MeL

MeL Minutes are brought to you by the Library of Michigan.  Want more information on MeL?  Stay tuned for the next MeL Minute available on many Michigan library listservs, email us at contact at mel.org<mailto:contact at mel.org>,  visit http://mel.org<http://mel.org/>, or Sign up for the MeL Minute and other Library of Michigan e-mail lists via GovDelivery<https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/MILOM/subscriber/new>. We encourage you to share MeL Minutes with your colleagues and networks.

Sonya Schryer Norris
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
PO Box 30009
Lansing, MI 48909
517-373-4457

http://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan
http://www.mel.org<http://www.mel.org/>
http://www.michlibrary.org<http://www.michlibrary.org/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D169A3.73327F50]

Take time this month to check out the Essential Instructional Practices in Early Literacy<http://www.gomaisa.org/sites/default/files/K-3%20Literacy%20Essentials%203.2016.pdf#overlay-context=general-education-leadership-network>