[Michlib-l] Computer Notices to Patrons

Mutch, Andrew AMutch at waterfordmi.gov
Thu Mar 2 16:10:54 EST 2017

Jessica,

A trend I've been seeing is libraries moving to drop the agreement page from public Internet computers and wireless networks. Libraries doing this have stated that patrons don't and won't read these agreements and even if they click on the agreement, when it comes time to enforce the policy, the patrons argue that they were unaware of the policy provision you are enforcing. Let's be honest - almost no one is reading the multiple paragraphs of text that you find with the typical library use policy. As one director noted, we don't require patrons to read and acknowledge an acceptable use policy when they walk in the door but if they start acting in an unacceptable way, that doesn't prevent us from enforcing applicable library use policies when the patron starts acting inappropriately. Most libraries going this route still post a copy of their computer use policy in a visible location but generally not at every computer. Otherwise, you'll just end up with a lot of sign clutter than no one reads.

Andrew Mutch
Library Information Systems Administrator
Waterford Township Public Library