[Michlib-l] [employment opportunity] Library Science Media Intern
careers at btpl.org
Wed Jun 14 12:13:30 EDT 2017
The Bloomfield Township Public Library has an excellent opportunity for Library Science students to gain valuable experience with a paid internship.
See below or attached for more information.
The Bloomfield Township Public Library is looking for an enthusiastic, energetic library science student committed to high quality public Library service. The Bloomfield Township Public Library is a class V Library, with a service population of 42,000+ people. There is strong community support for the Library, collections, services and programs offered. The Library promotes inclusivity in the diverse collections and programs available to all ages and abilities. Technology is integrated into Library services. The successful candidate will have a strong commitment to provide quality public service and the desire to work in a collaborative, team environment.
POSITION TITLE: Library Science Media Intern
DEPARTMENT: Youth Services, reporting to Department Head
Part-time, 20 hours weekly. Includes evenings and weekends. Internship limited to three-year length.
WAGES & BENEFITS:
$17.25 per hour with an increase to $17.77 after successfully completing a 90 day orientation period. Pro-rated paid time-off benefits, i.e., sick, personal business, vacation, holiday, and emergency time. Term life and disability income insurance provided.
• Current enrollment in a Library Science Master’s degree program
• Desire to serve the public in a positive, energetic manner
• Familiarity with Windows-based computers
• Flexible with scheduling
• Able to lift, push, and/or pull at least 20 pounds; able to visually review materials and discern voice and audible tones
• Public library or retail work experience
• Familiarity with current technologies and social media
• General knowledge of library collections databases, downloadables, website and online catalog
Direct public service: provides positive public service in the Media Center for children,
teens, and adults, including media advisory, reference service, instruction in the online catalog and information. Indirect public service: compiles bibliographies and similar tools to promote the Media collection; prepares displays; assists the public service departments in maintaining order, weeding, and other collection development activities for non-print materials. Add content to the website. Policy: assists in the development and implementation of library policies and procedures. Professional development: maintains knowledge of state-of-the art technologies and directions. Seeks opportunities for professional growth and development.
APPLICATION, RESUME, COVER LETTER: Due July 12, 2017
Application is available on the Library’s website at www.btpl.org.
Bloomfield Township Public Library
1099 Lone Pine Road
Bloomfield Township, MI 48302
OR email to careers at btpl.org
LIBRARY SCIENCE INTERN
TYPICAL WORK WEEK’S TASKS
A typical work week for the Library Science Intern may include:
• identify recently acquired items no longer on shelf or recorded in circulation
• assist young patron in finding non-fiction DVD appropriate for report use
• locate audio book by favorite author for patron
• prepare display for bulletin board
• verify titles and call numbers for discography
• answer telephone calls regarding availability of item
• instruct patron in the use of the online library catalog
• create new items lists for online catalog
• assist senior citizen with placing holds on videos
• post information on Library website
• assist patrons with downloading process
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Library Science Media Intern posting 6-2017.pdf
Size: 157371 bytes
Desc: Library Science Media Intern posting 6-2017.pdf
More information about the Michlib-l