[Michlib-l] Responses to recommendation for scanner for patron use

Deborah Haak dhaak at threeriverslibrary.org
Mon Jul 3 12:26:31 EDT 2017

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses to my request for patron scanner recommendations!
I've compiled the responses, attached the file, and included it in this
message in case it's helpful to you.

Deborah Haak

Accounts Technician

Three Rivers Public Library

269.273.8666

dhaak at threeriverslibrary.org <mailto:dhaak at threeriverslibrary.org>

Please consider the environment before printing this email. Thank you!

http://simplescanstation.com/

We have several of these and they work well for patrons and our IT staff.
(me)

When fixes or upgrades are installed, they log in and take care of it.

For a larger upgrade, they ship a fresh hard drive, which I'll know more
about in a week.

Don Bosman

Information Technologist

MSU Libraries

366 W. Circle Drive  -  Rm.W441

East Lansing, MI 48824-1048

517-884-0873

I've worked with both Envisionware's Library Document Scanner (LDS) and
Today's Business Solution's (TBS) Simple Scan. They're both excellent.

Both can be used to scan or convert to all the usual places. Our current TBS
Simple Scan can also be a fax machine and can translate pages into multiple
languages. The Envisionware product we had at GDL could only scan one side
at a time via the doc feeder on the bed scanner. The TBS has an additional
scanner (in addition to the flat bed) that can scan both sides
simultaneously, which is cool. Maybe LDS has a similar scanner, but we
didn't have it in Grand Blanc.

The TBS Simple Scan cost us just under $5,000 for all the equipment
(screen/PC unit, and the two scanners).  There is also a small, yearly
maintenance fee.

We have an Epson GT-20000 that is networked, and the software is loaded on
all of the patron PC's that are on that floor. Any PC can access it. It's a
very capable scanner. We use one for our digital imaging, too.  Don't know
if Epson makes it still; I am sure they have a similar model now. But we
also enabled scanning on our Xerox copy machines (along with email scanning
- very popular and free vs $1/page for fax) and have found that it's much
easier for the patrons to use. Our scanner sees little use now, and I am
angling to remove it from the public floor. We had one at our branch that we
have remove because it never gets used since the copy machines scan.

Mark Ehle

Computer Support Librarian
Willard Library

Battle Creek, MI

My library is purchasing a Simple Scan Station from BayScan Technologies.
It is expensive - approximately $5,000 for the equipment and software and
$900 per year for parts replacement and software updates.  The Friends are
paying half.  Two other libraries in our area have the machine and they love
it and usage is high.  Patrons can scan to a USB device, email or Google
docs and do not have to access the Internet.  If you want to charge, there
is a coin op system available for purchase.

Jacalynn Harvey

Director

Roseville Public Library

29777 Gratiot Avenue

Roseville, MI  48066

586-445-5407

586-445-5499 FAX

This should be available on your coin op copier.  You would have to write
directions, but it has been pretty easy.

Our self service scanner/fax services is an Envisionware Library Document
System.  Very easy self serve front end, but not cheap, we spent 7,000 $$ on
it and think it was definitely worth it.

ConnieJo Ozinga
cjozinga at commercelibrary.info <mailto:cjozinga at commercelibrary.info>

We have 3 patron copiers that have scanning capabilities.  It is 80% patron
driven.  We show the other 20% how to do it.

We always recommended it as an option to faxing.

Good luck.

Melissa McPherson
Willard Library

 269-968-8166 x537 <tel:269-968-8166%20x513>

  <http://willardlibrary.org/> willardlibrary.org