[Michlib-l] Closing the day after Christmas 2017

Reed, Nyama N.Reed at wfblibrary.org
Thu Feb 23 13:55:13 EST 2017

Our village has the policy that if a holiday falls on Saturday, they close Friday. On Sunday, they close Monday. If we did that, we would have been closed Fri-Mon two weeks in a row for Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day in 2016. Our patrons would be very unhappy if we were shut 8 days over winter break.

The library differs from the Village by closing on the actual day (Saturday or Sunday) and being open every other day. If a staff member would normally work that day, then they get holiday pay for it. If they would not normally work that day, then they get a "floating holiday" which they can use any time during the year. This method reduces the impact on patrons.

I get some push back from staff who complain that other places are closed Friday or Monday and I explain that they get their day off - on the actual holiday, not the federal holiday.

Thank you and have a wonderful day,
Nyama

Please note email change to N.Reed at WFBLibrary.org due to return to maiden name.

Nyama Y. Reed
Library Director
N.Reed at WFBLibrary.org
414-755-6551 (direct line)

Whitefish Bay Public Library
5420 North Marlborough Drive
Whitefish Bay, WI 53217
414-964-4380 (main line)

Our Mission
The Whitefish Bay Public Library, as a cornerstone of the community, is dedicated to connecting people of all ages, inspiring a love of learning and providing easy access to ideas, information and resources.

Our Values
We will . Provide a welcoming place for all who enter . Interconnect and engage our community . Be flexible, creative and forward-looking . Support an informed public . Offer an exceptional workplace . Follow a thoughtful and measurable approach

Today's Topics:

   3. Closing the day after Christmas 2017? (Jaema Berman)