[Michlib-l] One week left to register for the Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference

MHM Editor mhmeditor at hsmichigan.org
Thu Feb 16 12:16:04 EST 2017

There is only one week left to register for the 59th annual Michigan in
Perspective: The Local History Conference at the regular price.

Reserve your spot today!
The registration deadline is February 22.

Friday & Saturday, March 3 & 4, 2017
Sterling Heights, Michigan

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Michigan-in-Perspectiv
e-online.pdf>

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Michigan-in-Perspectiv
e-online.pdf> Click here to download the flyer for more information and
session descriptions.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/registration
/> Go to online registration.

Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference is held annually in
the Wayne/Oakland/
Macomb tri-county area and is open to anyone interested in state or regional
history.

The largest of our three conferences, this year's conference offers.

.         Four keynotes

o   Hear the Roar: The Detroit Tigers' Tale With William Anderson

o   The Michigan Vote: A Political Battleground With Jack Lessenberry

o   Selling Michigan: Promoting the Great Lakes State With Dave Lorenz

o   Grace Lee Boggs: Author, Activist, and American Revolutionary With Shea
Howell

.         Twenty-five breakout sessions that address local and statewide
history.

.         Nearly 50 exhibitors/vendors for attendees to visit.

.         Friday Reception featuring the Royal Garden Trio.

.         Saturday Gala: A Walk Through the Wars

.         Two days full of "meet and greets," refreshments, and optional
meals.

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Michigan-in-Perspectiv
e-online.pdf> Click here to download the flyer for more information and
session descriptions.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/registration
/> Go to online registration.

Come to hear these great sessions and more!

Dressing for Battle: The Uniforms of World War I With Chris Causley

Sailing Into History: Maritime Shipping on the Great Lakes With Frank Boles

Movin' to a New Beat: Detroit's Jazz Community With Jahra Michelle McKinney

Detroit in Crisis: The '67 Rebellion With Daniel Aldridge, Jamon Jordan, and
William Winkel

The Battle of the Overpass: A Labor Movement Turning Point With Mike Smith

Bath City USA: The Mount Clemens Mineral Baths With Kim Parr

Michigan Modern: Designs that Shaped America With Amy Arnold

Old Islam in Detroit: An American Heritage With Sally Howell

Art Without Boundaries: The Journey of Odawa Art to Europe With Eric
Hemenway

Intolerance in Detroit: The KKK in the 1920s With Michael V. Placco

Tails of Empowerment: The History of Leader Dogs for the Blind With Rachel
Kniffen

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.