[Michlib-l] CPS reporting question

Membiela, Clare (MDE) MembielaC at michigan.gov
Tue Feb 7 15:01:25 EST 2017

Hello:

In Michigan, libraries are not mandatory reporters of child abuse (unless the library is a school library). However, state law mandates that anyone who believes in good faith that a child is in danger can report abuse. State law further indicates that not only can reporters remain anonymous (and their identity protected), but they have no liability for the report (they cannot be sued or prosecuted in any way for a report that turns out not to be abuse)

Library staff can call authorities as a concerned citizen and not as library staff. The library does not need to be involved (if that is a concern).

I have attached an information sheet I compiled on this issue. Please share with your patron if  you like.

I hope this is helpful! Please let me now if you have any questions on the attached, or if I can be of assistance!

Sincerely,
Clare

Clare D. Membiela, MLS, J.D.
Library of Michigan
MembielaC at michigan.gov<mailto:MembielaC at michigan.gov>
517-335-8132

The research and resources above is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.

[cte-horiz-michigan]   [cte month resized for signature] <http://www.acteonline.org/ctemonth>
Visit www.acteonline.org/ctemonth <http://www.acteonline.org/ctemonth> for more information on Career and Technical Education

February is Career and Technical Education Month in Michigan.