[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Holiday Shopping, Jiffy Mixes, Motor Coach Tour, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Dec 1 16:38:35 EST 2017

Already Tired of Holiday Shopping?

It's already December, and the stores are packed with not only gifts but
also hordes of people. If you're tired of the crowds and are still looking
for creative gifts to give from the comfort of your own home, consider
giving the gift of Michigan History magazine!

Our bimonthly magazine is full of historical articles, unique tidbits and
trivia, and travel tips for any Michigander. We consistently feature content
from all corners of the state and bring to life the culturally diverse and
historically significant moments in Michigan's history-from pre-European
settlement all the way to the 1980s!

Topics are limitless-we cover them all! From wartime and historical recipes
to Native-American culture and the Roaring Twenties to art, culture, and
maritime lore, we are sure to have a topic for any history fan.

Don't stress over the shopping lines-
<http://hsmichigan.org/join/michigan-history/> Subscribe!

Making "JIFFY" Mixes

Did you know "JIFFY" mixes were invented in Chelsea, Michigan? Mabel White
Holmes had the idea for "JIFFY" baking mixes. She wanted to save people time
and money in the kitchen by including as many ingredients as possible in one
box. In April 1930, "JIFFY" mixes were first shared with the public by the
Chelsea Milling Company. The plant in Chelsea is the only factory that makes
"JIFFY" products. Today, Mabel's grandson, Howard Samuel Holmes, runs the
Chelsea Milling Company.

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> Interested in more historical
trivia? Follow us on Facebook!

Michiganders on the Road Presents "Founding of America" Tour

We know Michigan is a great state for culture and history. But we also know
there is some great history in the other 49 states as well. That's why we
developed our "Michiganders on the Road" motor coach tours-and we've already
set our sights on 2018!

How did our nation come about? What did the Founders envision for their
country? Can a government of the people, by the people, and for the people
survive? As one historian has put it, "the road from Jamestown leads to
Gettysburg." We'll discover how the United States originated and how it was
sustained in our 9-day, 8-night Founding of America Tour. History-packed,
fun-filled, and bursting with good eats along the way, this tour is sure to
delight anyone looking for a historical adventure with fellow Michiganders.

<https://hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/founding-of-america-tour.
pdf> View the detailed itinerary on our website.

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/america-tour-regist
ration/> Already know you want to come? Register today!

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/>

Check us out on Facebook!

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> Image result for facebook icon

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> HSM page

Fourth Annual Midwestern History Conference Calling for Paper Proposals

Hosted by our member organization the Hauenstein Center in Grand Rapids, the
Fourth Annual Midwestern History Conference is calling for paper proposals
to present at its upcoming conference. The conference will be held on June
6, 2018.

<http://hauensteincenter.org/finding-lost-region-fourth-annual-midwestern-hi
story-conference/> For more information, visit their website.

Looking for a Job?

If you are looking for work, make sure to take a look at our
<http://hsmichigan.org/resources/position-openings-in-michigan/> History Job
Board. This board is lists our member organizations' various opportunities
from all areas of the state.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/resources/position-openings-in-michigan/> Check them
out on our website!

The Local History Conference is Coming!

March 23-24, 2018

Sterling Heights

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Bay County Historical Society presents "Trombley/Centre House Holiday
Open House," Friday, December 15, in Bay City.

The Michigan Legacy Art Park presents "A Holiday Celebration at Michigan
Legacy Art Park," Sunday, December 17, in Thompsonville.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.