[Michlib-l] Genesee District Library- Bed Bug Event.- Update

David Conklin dconklin at thegdl.org
Wed Aug 9 11:29:43 EDT 2017

Colleagues,

I'm happy to report that the Mt. Morris Branch of the Genesee District Library will open at noon today.

Many of you may know that we partner with our local municipalities to bring services to our community.  The partnership with the City of Mt. Morris was put to the test yesterday and they passed with flying colors!

Minutes after our discovery and closing, City staff were on hand treating the building.  The treatment continued into the night followed by an early morning cleaning and inspection.  The inspection turned up no evidence of bed bugs.

We are still treating (baking) dozens of items that were sealed in XL Ziploc bags.  Early results show evidence on/in two books.  Any items found to have any evidence are discarded after being thoroughly baked.  It takes about two minutes at 120 degrees to kill bed bugs and eggs.  We bake items for approximately 3 hours and then inspect them.

I can say that the bed bug incident at our Mt. Morris branch was met with a quick and extensive response that should leave no doubt that the threat has been contained and is being eradicated.

I would like to add that I commend Sue Alt and Rides for having preventative procedures in place.  However, I would not characterize the Mt. Morris event as an "infestation".  The amount of actual items impacted is low along with the number of bugs found.

Thank you for the kind words of support and I will continue to send out our procedures to those who ask.

Dave

David Conklin
Director
Genesee District Library