[Michlib-l] Maker, creativity, grantwriting, & entrepreneurship workshops in Houghton Lake and Benzonia this month!

Kristin Fontichiaro font at umich.edu
Thu Aug 3 10:10:11 EDT 2017

We’re down to our last two weeks of *maker, entrepreneurship,
grantwriting, *and *creativity workshops!  *Join us later this month
in *Houghton
Lake *(mid-Michigan) and *Benzonia *(near Traverse City)!

All are free, with free SCECH credits for K-12 educators. Register and find
details at http://makinginmichiganlibraries.eventbrite.com .

*COOPERSVILLE (NEAR GRAND RAPIDS) – NEXT WEEK!*

   - * Introduction to the Maker Movement *(Tues 8/1, all day)* – *What is
   the "maker movement" and what role can it play in local communities,
   schools, and libraries? We'll talk about it and help you think about how
   to plan for a successful and sustainable maker program in your institution.
   - *Fashion Hacking / Upcycling / Refashioning *(Wed 8/2, all day) –
   Attract kids, teens, and/or adults to your library when you host activities
   to refashion t-shirts, button-downs, and more in your library. Thanks to
   fast fashion, secondhand clothing is cheap and abundant!
   - *Creating Design Challenges *(Thurs 8/3, morning) –
   - *Selling Handmade Goods Online *(Thurs 8/4, afternoon) – How can
   schools and libraries help students and patrons not just start online shops
   at sites like Etsy, Smashwords, Society6, Zazzle, Shapeways, Zazzy, and
   thrive? We’ll look at how creating a community of craft entrepreneurs in a
   library/school setting can help maximize success.

*HOUGHTON LAKE (MID-MICHIGAN) – REGISTER NOW OR SOME WORKSHOPS MAY BE
CANCELLED!*

   - *Introduction to the Maker Movement *(Tues 8/15, all day)- What is the
   "maker movement" and what role can it play in local communities, schools,
   and libraries? We'll talk about it and help you think about how to plan for
   a successful and sustainable maker program in your institution.

   - *Fashion Hacking / Upcycling / Refashioning *(Wed 8/16, all day) –
   Attract kids, teens, and/or adults to your library when you host activities
   to refashion t-shirts, button-downs, and more in your library. Thanks to
   fast fashion, secondhand clothing is cheap and abundant!

   - *Creating Design Challenges *(Thurs 8/17, morning) – Tired of your
   students/patrons just puttering? How can you help move them to intentional
   design decisions? We’ll use a variety of maker tools to help you think
   about how to integrate this into your program. A recent attendee said a few
   weeks ago that this event helped her think more clearly about how to
   integrate science and engineering principles!

   - *Maker Idea Swap *(Thurs 8/17, afternoon – Come tinker and take apart
   stuff while trading ideas for maker programs. We’ll be the notetakers so
   you can enjoy the conversation.

 *BENZONIA (NEAR TRAVERSE CITY)*

   - *Introduction to the Maker Movement *(Tues 8/22) – see description
   above

- *Selling Handmade Goods Online *(Wed 8/23, morning) – How can schools and
   libraries help students and patrons not just start online shops at sites
   like Etsy, Smashwords, Society6, Zazzle, Shapeways, Zazzy, and thrive?
   We’ll look at how creating a community of craft entrepreneurs in a
   library/school setting can help maximize success.

- *Fashion Hacking* (Wed 8/23, afternoon) – see description above.

- Grantwriting / Gathering Financial Support (Thurs 8/24, morning) - Learn
   tips and strategies for writing better grants from someone who has reviewed
   grant proposals at the local and federal levels and secured over $800,000
   in funding

   - *Maker Idea Swap *(Thurs 8/24, afternoon) – see description above

If you’d like to learn more or register for these free workshops, please
visit http://makinginmichiganlibraries.eventbrite.com or email
contactmichiganmakers at umich.edu .

Free SCECH credits for Michigan K-12 educators registered with the MDE
system.

Hope to see you soon!

--

Kristin Fontichiaro