[Michlib-l] Help Nashville Eat Ice Cream, please.

Shauna Swantek putnamlibrary.director at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 11:04:23 EDT 2016

Greetings, Libraryland -
Please consider this your formal invitation to come and visit Nashville, Michigan.  We are building an ice cream sundae that will feed 14,000 people so could really use your help!  (I've also attached a poster if you'd like to print and post and/or shoot out to your contacts digitally.)
My library's role is many-leveled but primarily I serve as the information contact point.  See the press release below for more details AND the link to the facebook event which the library helps to populate with entertaining memes.
Have a great weekend.  Perhaps I'll see you here next weekend.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:  CONTACT:ShaunaLea SwantekNashvilleRoute 66 Business District269-838-3909517-852-9723nashvilleroute66bd at gmail.comhttps://www.nashvilleroute66.comhttps://www.facebook.com/events/527944530737346/ Small Town, BigSundae:  Twice As BigNashville,MI, September 1, 2016 – Lastspring, when the village of Nashville, Michigan set out to break a worldrecord, they needed a lot of ice cream eaters. Over 5,000 people showed up to help eat their 1,832’ long sundae.  And their Facebook event drew so muchattention, the company sent a camera crew to film the day.  To date, their Facebook Stories video hasbeen viewed over a half a million times.
Unbeknownst to the Nashville Route 66 Business District, theplanners behind the event, a town in New Zealand had recently made an attemptand, sadly, theirs was longer.  Not to bedeterred from holding a title, the Nashville business group claimed the titleof “Longest Sundae in the U.S.A.” That record was broken early this summer inLudington with a 2,970’ sundae.
The small village, located approximately 30 minutes fromLansing, Kalamazoo, and Grand Rapids is not easily deterred and plans to createa sundae twice as long as last year’s attempt. They will again need lots of ice cream eaters and are inviting everyoneto help them break the world record for the longest ice cream sundae.  The event will take place Saturday, September17 with spoons dipping in at exactly noon.  Should the weather be glum, the attempt willhappen at 6 pm.
Souvenir 2016 color-changing spoons commemorating the eventwill be available to participants for $2 each if purchased in advance or $3each the day of the event.

“Last year’s event started out about breaking a world recordand inviting people to visit our village,” said Shauna Lea Swantek, PutnamDistrict Library’s director and Route 66 board member.  “It ended up accomplishing that and more.  It showed how well this community workstogether and supports each other.  We’vehad a year full of other successes, such as reviving Sandyland, our outdoorevent venue, and officially breaking the world record featuring MOO-ville icecream will be the cherry on top!”
Sandyland, a regionally famous music venue in the lateseventies and early eighties, was brought back to life early this summer with alarge outdoor concert hosted by the business group.  Music will also be part of the day’sactivities on September 17 in Nashville. At 3 pm, area churches will come together at Sandyland for a localChristian concert.  The public is invitedto bring their blankets and lawn chairs. A goodwill offering will be taken.
To break the record, the downtown portion of M-66 will beclosed down and the project team will be using over 220 eight foot tables and alot of ice cream and toppings.  For moreinformation about the event including where to park and catch a shuttle intodowntown, visit the Nashville Route 66 Business District Facebook page. ABOUTTHE NASHVILLE ROUTE 66 BUSINESS DISTRICTThe Nashville Route 66 Business District is a group of over45 local businesses focused on supporting each other.  The goals of the group are to provide anopportunity for local businesses to support each other and to make Nashville adestination location. Shauna Lea Swantek, Director
Putnam District Library
Honoring the Past, Serving Today, Preparing For Tomorrowwww.putnamlib.org 327 North Main Street PO Box 920 Nashville, MI 49073-9578 Phone & Fax: (517)852-9723