[Michlib-l] Press Release: Author E. Lockhart Visits Baldwin Library

Rebekah Craft rebekah.craft at baldwinlib.org
Mon Nov 28 15:30:48 EST 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Rebekah Craft, Baldwin Public Library
Phone: 248-554-4682
Email: rebekah.craft at baldwinlib.org

*Author E. Lockhart Visits Baldwin Library*

BIRMINGHAM, MI (November 28, 2016) – Hear bestselling young adult author E.
Lockhart speak at The Community House on Wednesday, December 7 at 7:00 p.m.
E. Lockhart, the pen name of Emily Jenkins, is the author of popular books
for children and teens, including *We Were Liars*, *The Disreputable
History of Frankie Landau-Banks,* and the Ruby Oliver quartet. Her young
adult books are smart, socially-conscious, and appeal to both teens and
adults.

*We Were Liars*, which has been published in 33 countries, won the
Goodreads Choice Award and was Amazon's #1 Young Adult novel of 2014.* The
Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks* won a Michael L. Printz Honor
Award and was a National Book Award finalist.

E. Lockhart grew up in Cambridge, MA and Seattle, WA and attended Vassar.
She received her Ph.D. in English Literature from Columbia University and
currently teaches Writing for Children at Hamline University’s
low-residency MFA program. Lockhart said, “I'm going to be talking about
young adult fiction, censorship and book banning, bibliotherapy, my own
personal history, and the beauties of escapist literature. I look forward
to meeting readers—it’s one of the nicest parts of being an author.”

While Baldwin frequently hosts authors to visit and speak about their
books, writing process, and inspiration, this is the first time the Library
has hosted a nationally acclaimed young adult author. “Lockhart’s book* We
Were Liars *was published in 2014 and continues to be the most popular teen
book here at Baldwin. I am very excited and honored that E. Lockhart has
agreed to come to Birmingham,” said Teen Librarian Elisabeth Phou, who
coordinated the special event.

In addition to Lockhart’s visit on December 7, the Library’s monthly teen
book club, Pizza and Pages, for students ages 13 to 18, will be discussing *We
Were Liars* on December 1 at 7:00 p.m.

Due to popular demand, tickets are required for E. Lockhart's appearance.
To reserve tickets, register by calling 248-554-4650 or visiting Baldwin
Public Library's Adult Services Desk. At the event, Oak Park bookseller
Book Beat will be on hand to provide books for purchase and signing.

The Baldwin Public Library is located in downtown Birmingham at 300 W.
Merrill Street. The Library’s hours are 9:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Monday
through Thursday, 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 12:00 p.m.
to 5:00 p.m. on Sunday. The Library’s website www.baldwinlib.org has
information on how to register for a Library Card and access all of the
Library’s services.

###
*--*
*Rebekah Craft*